Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
crs2027
crs2027 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Converting book

Hi all, I've just discovered Calibre and it seems like a good alternative to the sony software I usually use for my 505 reader.

I've been trying to find out the best default book format to go with. The FAQ states that the LIT format is a good one to use so I got a few books in this format to test.

I then converted them to the sony format LRF and sent them to the device.

No matter what I change in the settings the layout looks something like this:

Its as though the lines are set too long and a few words overlap to the next line before going on to another line.

Any tips? It's taking me ages to convert and test books
crs2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Use epub instead of lrf in calibre. Not that that will necesarily help, but epub will be the sony standard soon.

Also I think all the Harry Potters do that... I wonder what Ms Rowling was thinking as she published that ebook
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi,

I could be wrong, but looks to me as if your LIT source file has end-of-paragraphs at the end of every line rather than just at the end of each paragraph. This is causing each line to wrap separately.

Was the original purchase in LIT format or have you converted from some other format. The reason I ask is that I have recently processed some Harry Potter books myself. They were originally in PDF format and I manhandled them into MSWord so that I could remove the similar hard line-breaks, so the text would flow properly. Calibre's conversion was then very straight-forward.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote