Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
frankminus
frankminus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Astak (V3) a scam or serious?

I see the Astak EZreader pop up quite a lot on this forum. I like the idea of an "open format" reader and the huge number of file formats it supports.

But after a little investigation I found some weird stuff.

- The "official" website is mobiebook.com (mobi ebook) but the device doesn't read mobipocket books, though they sell them on their website. Weird. Why sell books you can't read on the device you sell?

- The price is higher than rebrands of the same price, but those readers DO read mobipocket content. (differs up to $50)

- Large parts of the website don't function, try the forum.

- The links to the software are all third party and not meant for the device itself, where other V3 versions offer monthly updates.

- The guy in the youtube promotional video is totally drunk. (no rant: check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gshDchF-o )

- The website looks really 'last century'.

Is this reader for real? Or should I order one abroad under a different brand name? (cheaper, but extra shipping cost, possible warranty issue)

EDIT : after another look:
The regular version $329 differs only from the 'new release promotion' ($369) on 2 added SD cards (valued by them at $12.84) and a cardreader (valued by them at $9.99) they both have the same case. No extra value there ... so added up the 'special deal' should be valued at $351.83 ....

What are they trying to tell me : let us rip you off, or buy the extra's elsewhere?

Last edited by frankminus; 03-07-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info and typo
frankminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Hmm, I'm never all that good in judging wether people are drunk or not, especially from this distance...Can't smell his breath

Maybe he's on some sort of medication? I mean, he could still spell....
But enough about that.

What strikes me as odd is all of these company's claiming to have created a new product, when it's just a rebrand of the same oem hardware.
They must think their customers are stupid. Ok I know the different company's choose different formats to support or not, with the bebook supporting the most formats from what I've gathered.
For DRM'd format support, you're gonna have to look at which format you prefer and which reader supports it.
Still to the op, if you order this reader from abroad, don't you have to pay a lot of import tax on it?

I do share your feelings of "shenanigens" (Sorry about the spelling) somewhat though. This is because of the 100+ pages thread about the Astak Mentor floating around here somewhere on the board.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Fry's usually has a better deal on the EZ Reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think we can agree that the style and look of the web site has "issues", but it's my impression that they are quite genuine and that people who have bought from them have had good experiences. Their style of communication is from my POV rather loud and over-enthusiastic, rather "American", but that might simple be a style that works for them and their primary market.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
matanic
Enthusiast
matanic began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Aura H2O
The reader itself is great, and I know it says it doesn't read mobipocket on the website, but the one I bought at Fry's read mobipocket right out of the box. In fact it even came with some classics in .prc format already installed. Maybe they mean DRM'ed mobipocket, because I didn't try that. I know you can upgrade the firmware using any of the Hanlin V3 (and clones) firmware out there so that would fix the problem if it doesn't read DRM'ed mobipocket.
matanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I got the EZ Reader yesterday at Fry's. I was a little disappointed in the fireware. Then I read that I could update the firmware with the latest BEBook firmware, which I did today. This lets the reader be seen by mobireader software on my computer without even having to manually enter the PID. Just make sure that you are running mobireader 6.2 build 614 which you have to get from the beta sites. I googled "mobipocket reader 6.2 build 614 to find it.
I have not tryed DRM books for the mobipocket yet. I have a lot of lit books that I have to read and it will read the non DRM directly and I have used convertlit to convert the DRM books to a format that I can use mobipocket creator to convert to prc.
I love it
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I like the Openinkpot firmware much better.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, all I can say is:

1. The guy in the video doesn't look drunk to me, exuberant maybe, but not drunk;

2. The Astak company is certainly not a scam;

3. The mobiebook site worked for me; and

4. If Fry's Electronics sells the product, then it's not a scam.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Have a look at the following thread and I think most of your questions would be answered

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22658

Last edited by Indigo Ink; 03-08-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: can't type
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Also, keep in mind that this device was planned to be a mobipocket device. It is from Jinke and the same as the Hanlin V3 and BeBook... the most current firmware does support mobipocket.

However, for some reason amazon decided that they could not ship the mobipocket reader on the EZ Reader. Why, I don't know. So, they dropped it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, keep in mind that this device was planned to be a mobipocket device. It is from Jinke and the same as the Hanlin V3 and BeBook... the most current firmware does support mobipocket.

However, for some reason amazon decided that they could not ship the mobipocket reader on the EZ Reader. Why, I don't know. So, they dropped it.

BOb
Actually, they will drop it in the future. The current products do support Mobi format and the firmware is compatible among all Hanlin clones so they can all be converted even it EZ Reader changes it in the future.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
rosealee1118
rosealee1118 began at the beginning.

Device: astak ezreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankminus View Post
I see the Astak EZreader pop up quite a lot on this forum. I like the idea of an "open format" reader and the huge number of file formats it supports.

But after a little investigation I found some weird stuff.

- The "official" website is mobiebook.com (mobi ebook) but the device doesn't read mobipocket books, though they sell them on their website. Weird. Why sell books you can't read on the device you sell?

- The price is higher than rebrands of the same price, but those readers DO read mobipocket content. (differs up to $50)

- Large parts of the website don't function, try the forum.

- The links to the software are all third party and not meant for the device itself, where other V3 versions offer monthly updates.

- The guy in the youtube promotional video is totally drunk. (no rant: check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gshDchF-o )

- The website looks really 'last century'.

Is this reader for real? Or should I order one abroad under a different brand name? (cheaper, but extra shipping cost, possible warranty issue)

EDIT : after another look:
The regular version $329 differs only from the 'new release promotion' ($369) on 2 added SD cards (valued by them at $12.84) and a cardreader (valued by them at $9.99) they both have the same case. No extra value there ... so added up the 'special deal' should be valued at $351.83 ....

What are they trying to tell me : let us rip you off, or buy the extra's elsewhere?
you might be sorry if you do dont do the firmware update i did before i could read drm mobiepocket ebooks now it wont let me
rosealee1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Actually, any Hanlin V3 firmware will work on the EZ Reader. Just use one of the others that supports DRM Mobi. I have loaded BeBook, Hanlin, LBook, and OpenInkpot at various times on my EZ Reader. They all work.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
Actually, any Hanlin V3 firmware will work on the EZ Reader. Just use one of the others that supports DRM Mobi. I have loaded BeBook, Hanlin, LBook, and OpenInkpot at various times on my EZ Reader. They all work.
Is it means that EZ Reader firmware has no any DRM support?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Is it means that EZ Reader firmware has no any DRM support?
The original EZ Reader firmware included MOBI support, but Amazon does not want any EInk reader marketed in the US to have MOBI DRM. I think it is the case that the current firmware still includes MOBI DRM, but Astak does not advertise this fact. The next version will drop MOBI DRM and include mobile Adobe Digital Editions (PDF and ePub DRM) instead. See Important update on DRM Astak.

All the firmware versions for the Hanlin V3 are interchangeable, so it will still be possible to use MOBI DRM on an EZ Reader if you want. One of the major downsides of DRM is that it always acts in the end to the detriment of ebook readers. It now seems likely that the MOBI format is dying (killed by Amazon) with Adobe ePub as the up and coming alternative and eReader as the old competitor with perhaps a 2nd wind coming soon.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote