Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Jakodai
Jakodai began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin v3 Page Turning Button not always Turning the Page

Hi All,

I got my Hanlin V3 on Friday, and I LOVE it. However, I'm having a problem occasionally where when I push the button to turn the page (the 0 key), the light at the top left hand corner comes on, but the page doesn't actually turn, and sometimes it takes 2 - 3 shots before it will actually turn. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
Jakodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Jakodai

Hmmm... Now it won't turn on...

ETA: I reset it, and it seems to be perfect now, including the page turning button...

Last edited by Jakodai; 01-18-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I've also run into non-turns on my EZ Reader (USA version of the Hanlin V3) but the LED doesn't come on, indicating the button didn't connect.

Also with Mobipocket files, I occasionally get a reboot. This is very annoying
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
motorhead
motorhead began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook V3
I've got the same problem and want to smash my book with a hammer and set it on fire afterwards. The 0 button seems to be more flimsy than the rest so sometimes it doesn't even register as being pressed and i have to keep on pushing it until the green light flashes, but even then it doesn't always turn the page. I have to think about this each time i reach the bottom of the page and wonder if it's going to work this time. It really makes me want to jump on top of the book with a pair of wooden shoes.

Any help on resolving this would be much appreciated and will probably save me a fortune in anger management classes.
Can I remap the buttons somehow?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I've also run into non-turns on my EZ Reader (USA version of the Hanlin V3) but the LED doesn't come on, indicating the button didn't connect.

Also with Mobipocket files, I occasionally get a reboot. This is very annoying
The Number 2 button on my EZ Reader did not work when I got it. Astak was great about swapping it out for a new one! It was one of the easiest returns I have ever had to do.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Jakodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I have to think about this each time i reach the bottom of the page and wonder if it's going to work this time.
That's what drives me nuts, and then I find that I have to go back to page to re-read the last couple of lines because I was so focused on whether or not the page was going to turn that I didn't read them properly.

Since I've reset it it's been pretty good, it only wouldn't turn a couple of times while I was on my way into work this morning. But that's how it started last time...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi Jakodai, are the page turn buttons on the left side both working OK?

You have a 12 month warranty for your HanLin, so please contact me if the problem with the 0 button persists.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Jakodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hi Jakodai, are the page turn buttons on the left side both working OK?
To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% sure. I know I did try it the other night when the problem first arose, but I can't remember whether it happened or not... I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it keeps happening. At the moment it seems really good though.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

OK, we'll stay in touch about this. As mentioned in my email to you, I'll ask Jinke for their advice and let you know.

You're probably still on the previous firmware like roytravis (in the other HanLin thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36468), so please do a firmware update and let me know if this fixes the problem.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
motorhead

Is there any way to remap the buttons? Like maybe use the menu key as page forward? Because with my book,it seems to be more of a physical problem than a software related one, when I push the button, most of the time it just does nothing.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Does the key feel the same as the others? On my BeBook the "1" has become "soggy" and takes some care to activate.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #12
motorhead

Same thing.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Jakodai

Hi All,

I upgraded the firmware (with the wonderful help of CBell, because I couldn't download the file from Jinke), and it now seems to be working without a problem!

I should point out here that the problem that I had isn't the same as the problem that others are having. Hardware wise, my device was working fine - the light was coming on each time I pushed the page-turn button. It's just that the actual page wasn't turning. I think the problem that most others are having is that the light isn't actually flashing when the button is pressed.

Thanks for your help CBell!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Jakodai, you're welcome and I'm very glad the problem seems to be resolved.

motorhead and rjh, as you both believe you have hardware problems, I suggest you contact your distributor. Your devices are probably still within their warranty period.

I'm not aware of the ability to remap buttons on a HanLin - but I think its worthwhile for you to ask your supplier for advice.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakodai View Post
That's what drives me nuts, and then I find that I have to go back to page to re-read the last couple of lines because I was so focused on whether or not the page was going to turn that I didn't read them properly.

Since I've reset it it's been pretty good, it only wouldn't turn a couple of times while I was on my way into work this morning. But that's how it started last time...
It would probably be a good idea to mention the ebook format you're reading when there is a problem. They don't all use the same SW for reading & button monitoring. I know that the Mobipocket is different from the FB2. (Although I think the RTF & FB2 use the same SW. May be mistaken.) This might help ensure that it is, indeed, the HW that is at fault.

I've had problems with the unit rebooting (using Mobipocket SW) when trying to turn the page. Don't know if the other SW has the same problem and haven't been able to faithfully repeat the problem.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote