Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which classic shall we read for September’s discussion?
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy 5 23.81%
Hiroshima by John Hersey 9 42.86%
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie 4 19.05%
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux 8 38.10%
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke 7 33.33%
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl 6 28.57%
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling 7 33.33%
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lewis Wallace 3 14.29%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 13 61.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Don't look now, but the race is tightening up!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not wow but nut job conspiracy theorists who have no idea what's going on.
I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've been called .a "nut job conspiracy theorist!"

I'm not interested in the three children's books nor 2001. Of the rest, I haven't read Phantom and shall vote for that. I'm most interested in Heart of Darkness which I've wanted to re-read for years; it's a book that has lingered in my mind. Not sure which of the others I'll vote for; I'm willing to re-read any of them. I'll have to listen, but it's one of the many, many attractions of classics that there are usually cheap options for audio books.

I'm obviously hoping for Conrad. Everyone will know that Coppola's Apocalypse Now is an updated version set during the Vietnam War and I see it's free on Amazon Prime Video, so I shall probably piggyback it onto Heart of Darkness if it wins.

Last edited by issybird; 08-30-2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Fix stupidity.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #33
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've been called .a "nut job conspiracy theorist!"

I'm not interested in the three children's books nor 2001. Of the rest, I haven't read Phantom and shall vote for that. I'm most interested in Heart of Darkness which I've wanted to re-read for years; it's a book that has lingered in my mind. Not sure which of the others I'll vote for; I'm willing to re-read any of them. I'll have to listen, but it's one of the many, many attractions of classics that there are usually cheap options for audio books.

I'm obviously hoping for Conrad. Everyone will know that Scorcese's Apocalypse Now is an updated version set during the Vietnam War and I see it's free on Amazon Prime Video, so I shall probably piggyback it onto Heart of Darkness if it wins.
I think Apocalypse Now was made by Coppola.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I think Apocalypse Now was made by Coppola.
Of course you're right. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm obviously hoping for Conrad. Everyone will know that Coppola's Apocalypse Now is an updated version set during the Vietnam War and I see it's free on Amazon Prime Video, so I shall probably piggyback it onto Heart of Darkness if it wins.
The original release or Apocalypse Now Redux? I have the latter on DVD.

And in another film to book connection that may have inspired the nomination of Ben-Hur . . The recently released Hollywood remake has been panned by critics and been a failure at the box office.
Advert
Old 08-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

September 2016 Book Club Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
...And in another film to book connection that may have inspired the nomination of Ben-Hur . . The recently released Hollywood remake has been panned by critics and been a failure at the box office.

Interestingly there was no religious component whatsoever to the original (and unauthorized) version of the film. It was a short and straightforward adventure film.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-30-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #37
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Interestingly there was no religious component whatsoever to the original (and unauthorized) version of the film. It was a short and straightforward adventure film.
Why there would have been a question about authorization if Wallace died in 1905 and the film was made in 1957?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
The original release or Apocalypse Now Redux? I have the latter on DVD.
I was thinking of the original release, with Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando.

This entire list (with the obvious exception of Hiroshima) are books that became classic film - except not including the Disney cartoon version of Peter Pam, which is racist, misogynistic and entirely stupid (those animal costumes, why?). But the Mary Martin television performance is well worth seeing, even if not technically a film, and so is Robin Williams's Hook. I haven't seen the 2003 film, but that's a little recent to have achieved classic status in any case.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Why there would have been a question about authorization if Wallace died in 1905 and the film was made in 1957?
The 1957 film was the second remake — it had been brought to the screen twice before. The first (unauthorized) version was in 1907. It was a one-reeler made on the cheap. The owners of the copyrights to Ben Hur sued, won a hefty settlement, and the case proved pivotal in ensuring that companies must secure film rights before filming an author's works. The second version was a big budget film put out by MGM in 1925 and it was quite a spectacle. The film used all kinds of film techniques that were state of the art at the time including miniaturization and false backdrops to provide the film's special effects.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-30-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #40
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I was thinking of the original release, with Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando.
Just for certain clarity Apocalypse Now Redux is what is generally called a directors cut version of the original. Pretty much the same film, but with some material that wound up on the editing room floor for the original added. If the Amazon broadcast is the original I'd be interested in seeing it. It's been a long time since I've seen the original.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Just for certain clarity Apocalypse Now Redux is what is generally called a directors cut version of the original. Pretty much the same film, but with some material that wound up on the editing room floor for the original added. If the Amazon broadcast is the original I'd be interested in seeing it. It's been a long time since I've seen the original.
I'm an idiot. Of course. I'm not covering myself with glory in this discussion.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Part of the problem with the list is too much violence and war.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Part of the problem with the list is too much violence and war.
I know! Particularly Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which has violence against children!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #44
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
They ADDED footage to the original? Geez. I thought it could benefit from some editing. But as I have already admitted I wasn't a fan of the story.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I know! Particularly Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which has violence against children!
I disagree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote