Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you split omnibuses?
Yes. I even split Delphi's. Including short stories. I'm hardcore! 12 19.67%
Yes, I split them if they're not too big and won't be updated. 14 22.95%
No. I can't be bothered. Just create an empty book to mark... 35 57.38%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #31
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I split all of them even the Delphi Classic ones. EpubSplit is my friend and very easy to use.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #32
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I do the opposite, I often merge all the epubs to have the series in one file. (I am now reading L.E. Modesitt's "Recluce Saga" constructed from the 16 epubs.) I have made a bunch of 5 book or fewer "omnibusi".

Luck;
Ken
I do something similar whenever possible and I like to purchase bundles. However, I create empty books in calibre referencing the bundle where the book can be found.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I split all of them even the Delphi Classic ones. EpubSplit is my friend and very easy to use.
That's hardcore. Way too much work for me.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #34
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I don't bother splitting them up. The only thing I'll do in Calibre is give the omnibus itself the last number of the series. That way if I add more books into the series, the singles will have their proper numbers respectively.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I split omnibuses and anthologies mainly so that I can rate the books and novellas individually. Also, to correct the order. It amazes me how many times books in various omnibuses are out of order.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #36
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I don't split the omnibuses, but I convert to kepub, if they aren't already in that format. It's less intimidating when it's broken up by chapters instead of it saying page 27 out of 1500 or however many pages in the omnibus
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #37
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I don't split and I don't mark, count or track. Hence no empty books, database entries or similar follies
Because I read series without breaks i. e from vol. 1 to last; cover to cover, I'd rather merge than split them.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #38
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I split them, but not all at once, only when I am ready to read one. That way, if Delphi Classics issues an update, I can download it and have the most up to date version, and I don't have to redo anything. I leave alone the stuff I have read and just split off new books when I am ready.

I find it is easier to track books read when they are separate, and I also have a few books which are in more than one collection, or where I already read it somewhere else. So having each book stand alone works for me.

I usually download the Penguin Classics cover. I like having covers that all match :-$
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do the same with Delphi; just split off what I'm going to read.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I do not split omnibuses, but I also do not like them. On my old e-reader (Sony 950) huge ebooks like this made the ereader grind to halt almost when I turned pages and such, especially if there were a lot of formatting and links and such.

That's not a problem on my iPad mini, but I still do not like so many books as one, especially if I'm only planning to read one. I would love to split them apart, but I suppose the last option fits me perfectly - I can't be bothered. I don't know how and I don't really want to bother to learn how at the moment. I don't even "Just create an empty book to mark...".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

There's another thing that can be a (small) problem with omnibuses, especially with the Delphi books.

First, I thought that the Kindle measured chapters by file, like so:

- Book1_Chapter-1.html
- Book1_Chapter-2.html
- Book2_Chapter-1.html
- Book2_Chapter-2.html

So, it would state the time to read a chapter, based on the number of characters in the file. If chapter was split into two files, it'd see that as two chapters.

Well... WRONG ASSUMPTION.

The Kindle calculates its Time To Read per chapter using the Table of Contents in the book. Now, if the Table of Contents looks like this:

- Book 1
-- Chapter 1
-- Chapter 2
- Book 2
-- Chapter 1
-- Chapter 2

It will work perfectly, even if chapters are divided into multiple files. The Kindle seems to just calculate on the basis of all the files starting at "Chapter 1", up to and including the file just before Chapter 2.

Now, Delphi Classics mostly don't have chapters in their TOC:

- Book 1
- Book 2
- Book 3

When you jump to a book, there is an inline HTML TOC for the chapters of that book.

However, because of this, the Kindle treats the books as chapters (so it sees the entire omnibus as one book), with chapters called "Book 1, Book 2", and so on. So, the Time To Read for a "chapter" basically becomes TTR for the book you're reading, and TTR for the book becomes the time for the entire omnibus.

Is it a problem? Not really, but it makes TTR a bit useless. You'll only know how long the book will take you if you set it to chapter mode.