Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Ronin2009
Ronin2009 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
[Solved] PDF to epub conversion failing on imbedded web link?

I downloaded a pdf from the "Instructables" site. It is an instructable about building a catamaran SUP. The conversion finished quickly with no error listed, but when I click the "epub" link in Calibre to view the file, I get an error (details between asterisks).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 38, in run
Thread.run(self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 505, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/book.py", line 173, in __enter__
create_indexing_data(self.spine, self.toc)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/spine.py", line 103, in create_indexing_data
(i-1 for i, t in enumerate(toc.flat()) if t is not toc)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/spine.py", line 65, in __init__
self.spine_pos = spine.index(self.key)
ValueError: '/member/mayala6/' is not in list
The pdf was an instructable created by a user named "mayala6" and on the 1st page of the PDF, as in all Instructable PDFs is a web link to the users area on the Instructables site. That seems to be the "ValueError". Is this somethin that can be easily fixed or am I just hosed?
Thanks for any help.
Ronin2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Ronin2009

Found it and seems to have fixed it

I opened the epub in Sigil and found the following line near the bottom of the "toc.ncx" page:

<content src="/member/mayala6/"/>

I removed the line and ensured the balance of the html before and after the line was still valid, then saved the file. I added the epub to my Calibre library and clicked the link to open and it succeded! I have had a few pdf2epub conversions fail with ValueError issues. Now I can at least hunt for them.

I'm not sure how to mark this post "Solved", but I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Ronin2009; 10-23-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Trying to mark post as solved.
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your version of calibre is out of date. Update and that error will go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Ronin2009

Thanks for the heads-up. I originally installed from the Software Manager and never checked the website to verify if I was current. Installed the latest 64bit version using the instructions on the website and it even found my library. Much slicker looking and seems faster. AND, that above issue was resolved. Calibre ROCKS!

Tags
conversion, epub, instructables, pdf, valueerror