Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I dont live in any of the subscription newspaper's cities...

..... what paper has a good national reporting aspect along with human interest stories? My Kindle hasnt arrived yet, but would like to know what you all think.
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you only interested in stories about the US? Don't you want to know what's going on in the rest of the world?

The NYT is a paper with a global reputation for excellent reporting. I think that all its stories are of interest to humans - that is the species which the paper primarily targets, AFAIK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Alternate suggestion

Why not make your own?

Mobipocket's Desktop Reader will generate ebook from any one of 341k newsfeeds listed. Plus, the 6.0 version recognizes the Kindle and will update the newsfeed automatically and send it over the USB to the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
kilofox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you only interested in stories about the US? Don't you want to know what's going on in the rest of the world?

The NYT is a paper with a global reputation for excellent reporting. I think that all its stories are of interest to humans - that is the species which the paper primarily targets, AFAIK.
I probably mis-phrased my statement, what I meant was I wanted a paper that had a good national and international news coverage. Nothing against New York (except those damn Yankees), since I dont live there, I am really not that interested in their "local news" per se.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
kilofox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Why not make your own?

Mobipocket's Desktop Reader will generate ebook from any one of 341k newsfeeds listed. Plus, the 6.0 version recognizes the Kindle and will update the newsfeed automatically and send it over the USB to the Kindle.
Thats a great idea, will MDR work using VMware? I am on a Mac. I suppose I could use Bootcamp, but I'd rather not if I dont have to.
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Regarding the excellent reporting of the New York Times, the paper has come under some criticism over the last few years for questionable reporting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...New_York_Times
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
kilofox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalbiker View Post
Regarding the excellent reporting of the New York Times, the paper has come under some criticism over the last few years for questionable reporting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...New_York_Times
I have heard that... honestly I wish USAToday was available. I know, I know its a McNews Paper, but for the most part it seems pretty neutral to me.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
I have heard that... honestly I wish USAToday was available. I know, I know its a McNews Paper, but for the most part it seems pretty neutral to me.
The title may sound religious, but The Christian Science Monitor is a fairly small size but very well regarded international newspaper. They're online at www.csmonitor.com for the current edition. They have no truly local news, but have lots of international and political news. (you can skip the one page of 18 that has a religious article.)

My biggest complaint with the CSMonitor is that their "treeless" edition is full page pdf (paper size is about double the dimensions of a4?). But there is a "text edition" that is posted in html if you want to scrape it.

Darqref
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
HiTech
HiTech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Nothing beats the New York Times...
HiTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I don't enjoy reading newspapers on the Kindle at all, nor am I fond of the web browser. I have used the web service to pull up book-related info - I just finished reading Timothy Egan's Worst Hard Times, about the Dust Bowl and Depression in the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle, and I wanted some info on New Deal policies. It worked, but it wasn't what I'd call elegant.

Several times a day I have to crank up either the desktop or the laptop to read email and deal with a few other things, and at that point I read all my newspapers and blogs. I could see getting alerts or RSS feed type updates via the Kindle, but until it's a larger screen, it's just not that useful.

I keep thinking that we could get an e-ink/e-paper two page foldout screen, that could be turned landscape mode - sure, you'd have a gap in the middle of the page, but it's actually be large enough to read an entire a-size sheet.

And, while we're talking newspapers, I prefer the UK Guardian over the NYT, although I read both. I also read the above-mentioned Christian Science Monitor, as they have pretty good "world" news.

Last edited by MoSo; 04-02-2008 at 04:36 PM.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote