Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #76
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And sometimes, one just needs to do a little organizing around the house.

Wladyslaw Szpilman, The Pianist would do nicely for Poland which I still haven't read after trading books with my mom a while ago.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #77
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An updated list. A few route changes. We're rerouting a bit in Africa and removing a bit of Central and South America to fit in some more of the Caribbean and changing a couple of titles. Notably, Romania where I've found In Search of Dracula by Radu Florescu.

This is of course bound to change, but I think I'm happy with 50 countries and about 12,781 pages for my challenge. I do have a potential 21 more countries with available options to extend the journey or to add after the main journey if I'm still feeling worldly.

I'm sad to see Belize and Japan go, but I'll obviously read more from Japan in the future and I'm leaving my list with original numbering so I can see where the gaps are for fill ins if I think I'll make way past 50 books over the year.

Code:
Canada               Thomson Highway, Rez Sisters
United States        John Steinbeck, The Pearl
Mexico               Carlos Fuentes, The Death of Artemio Cruz
Cuba                 Leonardo Padura Fuentes, Havana Blue
Barbados             George Lamming, Water with Berries
Dominican Republic   Loida Martiza Perez, Geographies of Home
Guatemala            Rodrigo Rey Rosa; The Beggar's Knife
El Salvador          Manlio Argueta, One Day of Life
Ecuador              Jorge Icaza, The Villagers
Peru                 Daniel Alarcon, Lost City Radio
Chile                Maria Luisa Bombal, House of Mist
Argentina            Adolpho Bioy-Casares, The Invention of Morel
Nigeria              Ben Okri, The Famished Road
Uruguay              Eduardo Galeano, Genesis
Brazil               Patricia Melo, In Praise of Lies
Venezuela            Romulo Gallegos, Dona Barbara
Trinidad and Tobago  Earl Lovelace, The Wine of Astonishment
Angola               Jose Eduardo Agualusa, The Book of Chameleons
Zambia               Gaile Parkin, Baking Cakes in Kigali
Mozambique           Mia Couto, The Tuner of Silences
South Africa         J M Coetzee, Diary of a Bad Year
Australia            David Malouf, Remembering Babylon
Indonesia            Andrea Hirata, The Rainbow Troops
Malaysia             Preeta Samarasan, Evening is the Whole Day
Vietnam              Lihn Dihn, Blood and Soap
China                Mo Yan, Reg Sorghum
South Korea          Young-ha Kim, Your Republic is Calling You
Russia               Arkady Strugatsky, Roadside Picnic
Kazakhstan           Mukhamet Shayakhmetov, The Silent Steppe
Uzbekistan           Hamid Ismailov, The Railway
Afghanistan          Atiq Rahimi, Earth and Ashes
Pakistan             Mohsin Hamid, Moth Smoke
India                Tabish Khair, The Bus Stopped
Tanzania             Gabriel Ruhumbika, Village in Uhuru
Uganda               Doreen Baingana, Tropical Fish
Sudan                Leila Aboulela, Lyrics Alley
Egypt                Alaa Al Aswany, The Yacoubian Building
Syria                Rafik Schami, Damascus Nights
Turkey               Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red
Bulgaria             Georgi Gospodinov, Natural Novel
Romania              Radu Florescu, In Search of Dracula
Ukraine              Nella Bieski, The Year is '42
Poland               Stanislaw Lem, Return From the Stars
Latvia               Sandra Kalniete, Song to Kill a Giant
Sweden               Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Finland              Maria Peura, At the Edge of Light
Norway               Matte Newth, The Transformation
Germany              Jenny Erpenbeck, Visitation
France               Roland Barthes, Mythologies
Switzerland          Johanna Spyri - Heidi

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 10-25-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #78
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's almost more work than planning a real itinerary.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #79
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

It's fun work though, although sometimes it is frustrating. Some countries are so hard to find anything for. Then there's the new titles for countries that peak my interest that I have to try to fit in to the list of 50. I found a free book for Latvia so how could I not include that in the journey. I removed Columbia because trying to read a 700 page book on this challenge would probably be a mistake.

I know I'll keep this challenge going over more than one year and try to fill in the world better as time goes on, but I think I need to have some level of sanity to the list as to what I can perhaps finish next year. I think I could bump the itinerary to 65, but it would mean no time to read anything else at all including the book clubs which I want to participate in a little more. I think I might swap France and Switzerland around and read a second book from Canada for 51. 51st state and all that kind of rhetoric and how it ties into my limited world view through what I've read.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #80
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Thought I would give a little update on how this year is going.

Code:
Canada              Thomson Highway, Rez Sisters
United States       John Steinbeck, The Pearl
Mexico              Carlos Fuentes, The Death of Artemio Cruz
Guatemala           Rodrigo Rey Rosa, The Beggar's Knife
Belize              Zee Edgell, Beka Lamb
Cuba                Leonardo Padura Fuentes, Havana Blue
Dominican Republic  Loida Maritza Perez, Geographies of Home
Barbados            George Lamming, Water with Berries
Nicaragua           Sergio Ramirez, A Thousand Deaths Plus One
El Salvador         Manlio Argueta, One Day of Life
Ecuador             Sergio Ramirez, Huasipungo: The Villagers
Peru                Daniel Alarcon, Lost City Radio
Chile               Maria Luisa Bombal, House of Mist
Argentina           Adolpho Bioy-Casares, Asleep in the Sun
Uruguay             Eduardo Galeano, Genesis
Brazil              Patricia Melo, In Praise of Lies
Venezuela           Romulo Gallegos, Dona Barbara
Trinidad & Tobago   Earl Lovelace, The Wine of Astonishment
Angola              Jose Eduardo Agualusa, The Book of Chameleons
Zambia              Gaile Parkin, Baking Cakes in Kigali
Zimbabwe            Petina Gappah, An Elegy for Easterly
Mozambique          Mia Couto, The Tuner of Silences
South Africa        J M Coetzee, Summertime
New Zealand         Bernard Beckett, Genesis
Australia           David Malouf, Remembering Babylon
Indonesia           Andrea Hirata, The Rainbow Troops
Malaysia            Preeta Samarasan, Evening is the Whole Day
Vietnam             Duong Thu Huong, Novel Without a Name
China               Mo Yan, Shifu, You'll do Anything for a Laugh
South Korea         Young-ha Kim, Your Republic is Calling You
Japan               Ryu Murakami, Audition
I've now read books from 49 countries after starting at only 25.

There were a few changes along the way and my itinerary is standing at trying to get to 70 countries this year. I've hit 31 so far so it looks to be achievable.

Last night I started Russia, which according to United Nations categories of world regions means I have now touched the five major regions. Still a ways to go though.
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #81
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I need help! I'm well on my way, now in Sri Lanka, but I've got a couple of troublesome countries and would like a bit more e-book availability if possible.

I'm looking for recommendations from Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania, and Tunisia.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 05-29-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #82
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I have a good friend who emigrated here from Turkey 3 years ago. She turned me on to Orhan Pamuk. I've read My Name is Red and Snow.

I really enjoyed both of them!
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #83
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Nice to know you enjoyed them. I've got My Name as Red penciled in, but it's not available in e-book from my library which is why I'm fishing for more options.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #84
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Off the top of my head:
Yasar Kemal is Turkish, probably not available in ebook though
Romania: Bogdan Tiganov or for a nice 2-in-1 you could go for Herta Müller who IIRC was born in Romania but in a German-speaking community
Spain: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Italy: Italo Calvino; Umberto Eco

I'll have a look through my stuff again and see if I can come up with a few more and something for Ukraine, Tunisia and Greece
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #85
Elpida
Connoisseur
Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch 622
A very impressive challenge!

You might like for Greece: Nikos Kazantzakis - "The Last Temptation of Christ" or "Greek Passion" which both exist as ebook as well as "Zorba the Greek" and if you ever saw the film, the book is much better
If you accept Nicholas Gage (who was born in Greece as Nikolaos Gatzoyiannis) as a Greek author you might have a look at his autobiographical book "Eleni"

For Germany: Patrick Süskind, Günter Grass and for Germany/Switzerland Hermann Hesse (he was born in Germany, lived and died in Switzerland)

Last edited by Elpida; 06-08-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Elpida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #86
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I have some books by Habib Selmi who is Tunisian. Stumbling blocks: may not be available in English (mine are in French) and e-format is unlikely.

Last edited by Yolina; 06-09-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #87
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Elpida. Zorba the Greek has been on my radar for a long time and might be the selection from Greece, but my library doesn't have it in eBook and the cost is atrocious ($14).

I've found a lot of Northern and Eastern Africa has very interesting books that are untranslated from French. It's been a serious downer for Western Africa. I dropped French in Grade 11 for Calculus. The Scents of Marie-Claire sounds good, but not available from my library in e-book form.

Trawling my library I found the following options available as eBooks:
Turkey - Orhan Pamuk - The Museum of Innocence
Italy - Umberto Eco - The Prague Cemetary, The Name of the Rose

My $20 monthly budget for books doesn't go very far with this challenge. I suppose it's just part of the fun. How to read the world for less than $20CDN a month. I wish the library added more variety than Romance as eBooks, but I understand they stock what the majority of patrons want. Of the last twelve added eBooks, eleven are Romance and one is Ernest Hemingway.

Time to give the library some suggestions I think.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #88
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's been a serious downer for Western Africa.
Are you looking for French books, translations or Anglophone books from West Africa?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #89
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Looking for English books, translations of French books to English.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #90
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

I spent quite a bit of time in West Africa several years ago, primarily in Francophone countries; Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Niger and Benin. I had a difficult time finding English books at the time so I'm really no help. However, the Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is quite wonderful. Half of a Yellow Sun and Purple Hibiscus are both excellent books. She's written a more recent novel and a book of short stories, which are apparently good, neither of which I've read.