Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
AlBrown
whatever ...
AlBrown began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
How to add Languages to the "Edit Metadata" UI dialog

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before but I have been unable to find it in my searches of these forums.

I would like to add some additional entries to the "Language:" drop down on the "Edit Metadata" dialog. I have become interested in eBooks translated from other languages to English and want to store the metadata that would reflect that in the Calibre database.

I've been searching for the best/correct method to add some additional entries for English like "English; Translated (French)" or "English; Translated (German)".
AlBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBrown View Post
My apologies if this has been asked and answered before but I have been unable to find it in my searches of these forums.

I would like to add some additional entries to the "Language:" drop down on the "Edit Metadata" dialog. I have become interested in eBooks translated from other languages to English and want to store the metadata that would reflect that in the Calibre database.

I've been searching for the best/correct method to add some additional entries for English like "English; Translated (French)" or "English; Translated (German)".
You will need a custom column
Languages is for a single Language (the primary document language)

Various metadata rules (see various tweaks) depend on this value.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
AlBrown
whatever ...
AlBrown began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You will need a custom column
Languages is for a single Language (the primary document language)

Various metadata rules (see various tweaks) depend on this value.
Perhaps I'm a bit slow, I'm not sure how a custom column would help me when what I want to do is add additional choices to a drop down on a dialog. There are already 3 choices for "English", "English; Middle (1100-1500)", and "English; Old (ca. 450-1100)". A primary choice and two subordinate choices. I just want to add to those subordinate choices on the form of "English; Translated (French)", "English; Translated (German)", etc...

It would seem that since those other choices ("English; Middle (1100-1500)", and "English; Old (ca. 450-1100)") exist that I should be able to add to them without causing significant issues since they come back to being selected as a subordinate type of the primary choice "English".

Since you mention Tweaks, and metadata rules: How would this be significantly different to adding in another language like "Klingon" as a off the cuff example?

Thanks for your help just trying to understand.
AlBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Language affects sorting rules, conversions and so many other things.

Klingon is not an ISO language. The languages listed are considered valid anywhere. Transferring a Klingon (language) book would cause errors on other devices as the entry is not expected.

OTOH custom columns (and their values) do not normally cause problems.

BTW I like your choice of sample language , it made discussion of potential problems easy
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit metadata, language, metadata