Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New to Linux, need some guidance!

Hello all, I've loaded Ubunto on my Mac laptop, and have tried to use the linux files of libprs500 in that platform. I've tried to follow the guidance on the libprs500 web page, but get lost with the commands written there. Is the first command to be written all at once in the Terminal window? It looks like I need tp load an installer file but that's where the wheels come off for me. Any how-to help on installing libprs500 on a Ubuntu linux install would be appreciated!

Sonyman
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
spwg
spwg began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
They're all the same command, just past them together into one sudo

like this:
sudo apt-get install python-setuptools python-imaging libqt4-core libqt4-gui python-qt4 fonttools python-mechanize imagemagick xdg-utils python-dbus python-lxml librsvg2-bin

Or you can just start each line with a sudo apt-get install.

-superpastywhiteguy
spwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
First, to actually try to help, could you link to the page with the instructions you're trying to follow?

Second, if you've got a mac laptop, why are you messing with ubunto? Do you not have OS X? The new macs are inherently unix underneath, and you can access their unix-ness by opening the Terminal app (in Applications under Utilities).

Third, why not just download the mac dmg? That's what I did on my mac laptop:
http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/download_osx
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yep, I do have a Mac and I'm currently using the Mac OS version of libprs500 but was messing around with linux a bit. I did come to my senses and gave it up as there is something to the "why are you messing around with linux?" factor!

Sonyman
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Okay. Definitely post here if you have questions though. There's tons of help. And welcome to mobileread.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Second, if you've got a mac laptop, why are you messing with ubunto? Do you not have OS X? The new macs are inherently unix underneath, and you can access their unix-ness by opening the Terminal app (in Applications under Utilities).
I have a mac, and I installed linux on it, as soon as i got it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have a mac, and I installed linux on it, as soon as i got it
Same here

My Mac mini is a wonderful linux box.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote