Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read an E-book Week is right around the corner... March 2nd-8th, 2008.

This year, Rita Toews' promotion of Read an E-book Week discusses the environmental friendliness of e-books... a theme that rings strongly with people in 2008. After all, we are all seeking ways to shrink our environmental footprint, cut back on the resources we use, and the waste we produce, on our one and only planet Earth.

Paper production is incredibly wasteful, and well beyond just the trees that are cut down: An incredible amount of electricity goes into running a paper production plant, enormous amounts of water are used, and up to 240 specific chemicals are applied, to create the print paper generally used for books and newspapers. And most of those chemicals, still in the waste water after use, are simply poured into the nearest watershed... maybe yours.

Then those books are printed, using inks that are often made up of toxic chemicals. They must be transported to your local store or warehouse, or to your home, using polluting fossil fuels in transport. And many books that are not sold end up being returned to be burned, or landfilled, making them a complete waste of resources.

E-books are a great way to lessen your impact on the environment. E-books have the advantage of requiring only electricity to be produced, transported, stored, and read. An e-book reader is produced and bought once, but can be re-used to read thousands of books. And when you're done with the book, you can just hit the "delete" button... no waste product goes to the local incinerator or landfill.

So, if you're looking for a way to contribute to the greening and resource-saving of the world, e-books are an excellent way to go. And if you're looking for some good reasons for buying e-books to pass along to others, now you have it!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm all for eBook week. Sounds like it'll be a great week. And during that week, I'll refrain from reading any of the pBooks I still have yet to read or finish reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sounds great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Extree! Extree-ee!

From March 2-8, SteveJordanBooks.com drops prices to $1.50 for all novels during Read an E-book Week! (Sale prices do not include bundles. Sorry!) This includes all formats, and... my God... still no DRM!

Cue the heavenly choirs, call your friends, and come complete your collection of my books!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
What I've read this week

I started off with Steven Brust's Firefly novella, "My Own Kind Of Freedom." I thought he did a great job of nailing the voices of the characters. Definitely did his homework. The story itself was a bit on the weak side, but not bad. Overall, very enjoyable.

I'm currently in the middle of G.K. Chesterton's "The Man Who Was Thursday." So far it's very interesting. I love Chesterton's writing, and this one does a nice job of mixing in his usual styles of snarky, dry humor, philosophical ramblings, and poetic use of language.

- David
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Read an E-book Week was a great success this year, in that it got the notice of a number of major publishers, and of E ink, the makers of displays for e-book reading devices like the Amazon Kindle and Sony reader! REBW also got international notice, and requests to do foreign language versions of the site.

This year's message about reducing our carbon footprint with e-books was well-received, and seen by other parties as a strong promotional tool for e-books. This, and REBW's grassroots efforts to spread the word, managed to get the attention of some major players in the books market, and some promises of cross-promotions and further activities next year (since almost all of them seemingly got the word too late to do anything substantial this year).

Personal note: Unlike everyone else, the SJB was in a great position to cross-promote, and I can report great success, too: Sales for my novels went through the roof last week, and I've been discovered by a lot of new people (who will hopefully get their friends to visit!). To all my new readers: Welcome, and to everyone who bought books this week: Thank you!

Here's looking forward to another great year for e-books, until Read an E-book Week comes back next year!