Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
another really basic iPad 1 question

I have an mp3 (of a Radiolab episode) downloaded on a usb thumb drive. I would like to get it to my iPad so I can listen to it. I also have a portable computer, but it's a work unit and I don't have iTunes on it, nor am I allowed to download any software on it. I do have the web page link for the download.

If I go to the web page in Safari, can I download it to my iiPad? will the iPad know to put it somewhere where I can listen to it (like maybe the music folder?) if not, how do I find where it was downloaded, and how do I get it in the music folder? do I need to download any app to be able to listen?

I've just inherited the iPad, and other than being able to use Safari and read news that my dad set up in Pulse, I really don't know what I'm doing, so thanks for any help I can get!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Have you tried putting the file in Dropbox? There is a Dropbox App you can download for the iPad. That or use Google Docs to access the file.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will just transferring the file via dropbox put the mpe in the right place (music folder?) for me to listen to it? I have no idea how to move things into apps or locate files on the iPad.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You can send it to the music app using Dropbox, or play it directly in Dropbox.

Link to dropbox.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I don't want it streaming, because I'm going to listen on a plane. When I try to download directly from the site, it starts to play even tho I hit the download button.

I may have to try to load it via my dad's iTunes. I don't want to wipe mt Dad's apps until I can recreate it under my own registration.
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
You could try e-mailing it to yourself. When you receive the mail on your iPad, press the icon of the file and see what happens. Or, a long press and you can choose "open in" and select from the list of compatible apps that will appear.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I tried that. When I go to the link, it tries to stream the podcast, rather than download it. I know on my PC when this happens I can right-click on the link to download it, but there doesn't seem to be the equivalent on the iPad.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try to send the mp3 file in the mail, or a link?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I sent the link to the download page; the file is too big for my emailer to send to myself.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I meant the file. In that case the best option is Dropbox. In the dropbox app, you should have an option to "open in". I've never done this with a mp3 file but I assume, on an iPad 1, that you can open with the "iPod" app. Or you will need to find an app that can read mp3 files.