Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kindle bricked after flashing kernel

So here is what I did:
I followed this to make a backup of my kernel: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=16
Then I booted into diags and from there into fastboot. This is the last time I saw my screen change.
Code:
sudo fastboot download uImage-usbotg
sudo fastboot flash kernel
sudo fastboot boot
Then I decided to restore my backup, so I got into HID mode via the magic button, uploaded fastboot.bin with imx_usb_loader and then used the same procedure as above to flash the original kernel.

The screen stays blank, but I eventually find out bootmode is set to fastboot, so I set it to diags. I never touched diags, so I thought that would be the safest thing to do.

My screen came alive with that weird line drawing that shows when you boot diags, but it stayed there.

Extra weirdness: lsusb showed "lab126 Kindle 3" at on point. Other than that, it shows "lab126" or "freescale something" consistently.

The led at the bottom also doesn't turn green anymore.

Recap:
Only thing I changed is the main kernel.
Only thing that makes the screen do *anything* is diags.

[edit]
the screen just changed from the lines to the empty battery pictogram. It was full yesterday evening.

[edit]
The config I used for imx_usb_loader reads
Code:
imx50
hid,1024,0xF8000000,128K
I got it from some random thread, but I figured it might be important, to make sure I did not overwrite some other random piece of memory.

[edit]

A tree with a loading bar just appeared on the screen. It is stuck halfway. I have absolutely no clue what's going on inside of this device. I wasn't doing anything.

It just flashed the screen and did it again. Load half the bar, get stuck.

[edit]
Ok, I'm back in. There are definitely some strange issues with my setup, but my backup works. Sorry for the clutter.

Unless someone has some insights to share, this thread can probably be deleted.

Last edited by pepijndevos; 10-21-2012 at 05:36 AM.
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
What model is your kindle?

Do you have matching compatible kernels and partitions? Is your battery fully charged for 20 hours using a wall charger? If not, that could be your problem.

After your edit, it does look like your battery needs charging.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert