Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #61
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I guess there must be over-riding advantages in the new editor that made the programmers decide it was worth ditching cursor synch between views? Are they discussed anywhere?
There was a thread, I cant quite find it however.

A few of us spoke up against the idea — but there was a lot of "Herpa derp I once edited something... so make the BV nice! XD," while actual users voiced that throwing web-components into something, to replace native ones was a bad idea and would require so many affordances to be forced into being, for little gain at the end of the day.

Admittedly, I have thrown caution to the wind and run against users before, and it's never going to be clear cut when that happens. So I can sympathise on some level, but it's not worth getting mad about, I'm happy that the work is done by someone that isn't me
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #62
mesquite
A tree.
mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mesquite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My one dislike about the beta to 0.5.3 is that when editing in Book View it takes a bit longer to open than in 0.5.3, I too prefer the old editor style. To me having the editor open with EACH segment of the file is a wasted process on the computer.
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #63
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I realize I probably don't represent the majority of Sigil users, but it's important to keep in perspective that different people use it differently. I don't really use Book View for much of anything—Split View, not at all—so all this talk of syncing between the views is mostly lost on me. But I accept the fact that it seems to be important to others.
I, like you, don't use split view (don't even know what preview view is or how to use it.) However I use BV quite a bit in preliminary proofing and checking results of code changes. The only editing I do in BV is to fix typos and misspellings - nothing else.

Syncing is important to me so I can find the place I need to make change in CV while proofing and find the place in BV to see the results of code changes.

Regards - John
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #64
soulafein
Enthusiast
soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.soulafein is faster than slow light.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You'll need to build the Linux beta version from source if you want to try it.
Hmm...it's a bit complicated for me. But WINE did great work
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #65
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ducks usage estimate
1% Split-view (and this was to see the code quick for what was in the cursors location. We have the Explorer if I could make it work for me as simple as it does in Calibre's book viewer)
75% CV
24% BV (mostly for inserting Ch Splits and doing manual joins where the REGEX solution would make a mess, Fixing OCR errors/typo's by context )
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #66
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Pasting from word

First off, let me say I'm really impressed with this latest beta, I can see that its going to save me loads of time. Well done Sigil team.

One niggle though - The 'paste from Word' feature loses all the local (character) formatting, which rather limits its usefulness.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #67
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
If it becomes a choice between this editor and BV/CV cursor sync my vote would be to pitch the editor. Having to search for your place every time you switch between CV and/or BV is too time consuming and these switches are needed many, many times in the creation or editing of a book.
Why not make it a user option to sync or keep the cursor at the last location? The code for both options already exists, so it should be a simple task to add a menu option for it?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #68
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately I suspect sync wasn't removed because the programmer thought it was undesirable :-(
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You also have to remember that many users have been clamoring for more WYSIWYG ability: link creation, anchor creation and the wysiwyg formatting of the html code in general... something that I assume was getting harder and harder (or at least impractical and ineffecient) to achieve via the older Book View mechanism with it's highly limited editing menu. Many seemingly casual things were only achievable at all by going into Code View... which immediately froze many users cold in their tracks. Footnotes for example. The new editor (CKEditor) opens up new possibilities for those users (as well as for the devs).

All in all... even though I didn't really use Book View very much (and I'll probably use CKEditor just as little), I think the changes will allow the more casual users to do a lot of the things they've been wanting/needing to do (without needing to learn how to code); while at the same time, avoiding completely hamstringing the users that already know their way around XHTML/CSS. You know... a compromise.

Sure there's some kinks to be worked out, but that's always the case. Hell, I skipped the entire 0.4.x incarnation of Sigil myself. There's just no reason to assume the sky is falling entirely... or forever. Stick with what works for you... upgrade when it suits you... move on if you feel you have to.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #70
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Unfortunately I suspect sync wasn't removed because the programmer thought it was undesirable :-(
The cursor sync never did work properly for me. For a long time there was an issue with the code section of split view jumping around erratically, which I suspect the developers couldn't fix so they gave up on it and in the process stopped trying to get the cursor sync to work, and ditched the split view.

BTW what is all that stuff that appears when you click the split view button?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #71
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquite View Post
So a suggestion would be to digress back to 0.5.3 then?

Has there been an explanation for why say a title page image will disappear when editing? Like I will open a book and as standard, it will open with titlepage.xhtml as the first portion open but it won't display the cover image.
Known issue - it displays ok in Preview view but for some unknown reason it isn't working in BV - still to be worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
One niggle though - The 'paste from Word' feature loses all the local (character) formatting, which rather limits its usefulness.
Its a function of CKEditor and I guess its trying its best to cleanup paste from Word - so it may be useful in some cases but not others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
If it becomes a choice between this editor and BV/CV cursor sync my vote would be to pitch the editor. Having to search for your place every time you switch between CV and/or BV is too time consuming and these switches are needed many, many times in the creation or editing of a book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Why not make it a user option to sync or keep the cursor at the last location? The code for both options already exists, so it should be a simple task to add a menu option for it?
Nothing is 'simple' - unless you don't have to do it

The use of CKEditor for the Book Editor is not the main reason, or at least the only reason, syncing is no longer present. With the replacement of the editor all the code for updates, etc. was no longer valid. Syncing was not put back in because it always had issues in the previous versions. At the moment just getting the cursor to stay where you left it in Book View is a challenge.

There was discussion in the older thread about the possibility of looking into a live view of where you are in Code View, but that hasn't been looked at yet to see if its possible or worthwhile.

Preview View is what Split View is called now - but it is just a static view of your book. It is basically Book View without editing - but it allows testing hyperlinks (once cursor positioning is worked out), and gives you access to look at the code if you want (and if you don't want to you can shrink the split window to hide the lower part).
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #72
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
BTW what is all that stuff that appears when you click the split view button?
Have a look at the User Guide
Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #73
ondrejandrej
ondrejandrej began at the beginning.

Device: Android-based tablet
Hi, I installed the version 0.5.902 under Linux and realized, that it sucks. How do I remove it? There are no uninstallation instructions neither in enclosed text files nor in wiki.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondrejandrej View Post
Hi, I installed the version 0.5.902 under Linux and realized, that it sucks. How do I remove it? There are no uninstallation instructions neither in enclosed text files nor in wiki.
What a wonderful way to state that 'The Beta did not meet your expectations'

The Linux installation help page has the instructions:
Code:
cd /opt/sigil
./uninstall
Assumes the default location
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The uninstall script isn't an option when you build/install from source (and that's the only way to install the current betas under Linux), theducks.

Quote:
The sigil binary is installed to /usr/local/bin
The sigil desktop file is installed to /usr/local/share/applications
The sigil icon file is installed to /usr/local/share/pixmaps
The rest is installed to the /usr/local/share/sigil directory

** Assumes you stuck with the default "/usr/local" prefix when compiling the project.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Closed Thread