Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I have started using the "Discussion" page that backs each Wiki page for notes about index page entries that are not in the common pattern.

First example of such use is the backing page to Prefix_Index.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All index entries now appear single spaced rather than double spaced.

The Comprehensive List... is now an include file in the Template namespace.
It is included at the bottom of all model-specific pages and at the bottom of the master Prefix Index page.

The above information and details of how to use / reach it for editing are in the Prefix Index discussion tab.
(and in the footer of any page that uses it while editing that page)

I also tidy'd up more of the entries into the web-bot friendly format, but far from having tidy'd up them all. Just in case some masichest out there wants to do a load of tedious editing.

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #63
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is included at the bottom of all model-specific pages
but it has very little info related with K4, K5 ( only some parts like Manga, eBook, Collection, and Clipping Management and a few other links) therefore I think it is not belong to these pages. ( maybe this parts could be added just like I did on tools page.)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
but it has very little info related with K4, K5 ( only some parts like Manga, eBook, Collection, and Clipping Management and a few other links) therefore I think it is not belong to these pages. ( maybe this parts could be added just like I did on tools page.)
It isn't alone in that aspect.

There are a lot of ''unorganized'' links that remain to be moved into their sections.

If parts of #template:Comp_List need to be cut and pasted literally into the body of a model specific page and the include command removed ....

Well, somebody will get around to it, someday.

I'm new here, I would have to read the entire content of each of them to know which ones to pull out of the include file.

You will also note that they are not divided into model specific sections in their original sticky thread.
So not much damage has been done. They are just ready for Cut&Paste per page.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral

A new day, a new week, think I will take the week off from wiki editing and work on my own projects a bit.

Using a Wik for this multi-level index chore is a bit of over-kill but it is the resource this site provides.

In contrast, http://mirrors.minimodding.com is also a multi-level index but it only uses one css file and SSI (server side includes).
Those sources are published, click the "project repo" link in the sidebar.
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #66
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You've all done great work there already. I plan to dedicate some time on the upcoming weekend to finally get "my" threads in order and well sorted. This has become a great resource already.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You've all done great work there already. I plan to dedicate some time on the upcoming weekend to finally get "my" threads in order and well sorted. This has become a great resource already.
The easiest place to start adding a new item is in the most appropriate section (or sub-section) of the <prefix-tag>_Index page.
Adding any section (or sub-section) name as appropriate.
The underscore is not required in the link field names.
The TOC will be auto-generated, no effort required.

The requested entry style includes a click-able and a non-click-able field - -
We (the humans) are using the click-able field, the web-bots are using the non-click-able field for indexing.
Which is why the entries have strings that seem a bit repetitious to us humans. One field describes the entry for people the other field describes the entry for people+bots.

The "Master" or "Prefix" index only lists index pages and index page section (level 1) entries (with a couple of exceptions where it also drills down to index page sub-section (level 2) entries.
The only time this page needs to be edited is when a new section or sub-section is added to a specific index page.
Again the TOC will be auto-generated.

Exceptions to the above are documented on the "discussion" tab backing each of the index pages. Currently, only the Prefix_Index page has anything on its "Discussion" tab.

The TOC of each page is auto-generated and that navigation is "page local" only.

The top-most or "Master Index" or "Prefix Index" is located at:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Prefix_Index

All index pages, include a top nav-bar.
There is one more "prefix category" than what appears in the dropdown prefix list, the "HowTo" index page.
A site-code change has been requested to add "HowTo" to the forum prefix tag set.

While editing, at the bottom of the page while in edit mode, is a link to Wiki editing help that will open in a new window.

Include files may be used, at the moment there is only one of them in use for the 12.5K "Comprehensive List..." entry.
This include file may eventually go away as things are cut&pasted away from it, into the appropriate sub-sections of the appropriate pages.
But it serves as a "worked example" of how to use include files for blobs of text that need to appear in multiple pages.

A web-site code change has been requested to make the prefix tags used in thread titles click-able, with each target address the specific Prefix_Index#Section.
When implemented, this will skip to the appropriate section of the "Master Index" page for the user - getting them that much closer to what they are looking for with a single click.

Logically -
The (master) Prefix_Index page does the one-to-many relationship.
Each specific prefix index page does the many-to-one relationship.
The relationship graph is made closed by the nav-bar entries.

Last edited by knc1; 06-20-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #68
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
I created a template for the Master-Index-Header, so that adding a new Index will not require to edit all Indexes.

See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Temp...terIndexHeader

I only have added it to the Kindlet-Index, because i first want to hear your thoughts about that.
(Creating Templates is a pain, because you cant 'preview' them -.-)
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #69
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The Index link should not be clickable when used on the Index page.

That index line is about all the longer it can be already without wrapping to multiple lines.

And the intent was that it (mostly) matches the forum prefixes.

We do not want to encourage people to mess with that text menu bar at the top by making it TOO easy.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

It looks to me as if using that template loses the "gray out" of the current index you are on feature.
That index line at the top of the page went through a number of revisions already as the versions bounced back and forth between GM and myself.

I think you will have a hard time convincing either of us that it needs more change now.

One of the things you can't see, because it hasn't been coded yet, is that the pre-fix tags in the forum posts here, will not only select the posts you want to see here, but will become clickable - with the click targeted at the top of the respective index page (that line you are trying to replace).

Also, there is one more index page than pre-fix tag ("HowTo") that one is also still waiting on the coding change.

Last edited by knc1; 07-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #71
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Quote:
The Index link should not be clickable when used on the Index page.
It isnt.
(EDIT: The 'Index'-Index was clickable due to a mediawiki fault, i think. Templates tend to take some time or special events to get updated. )

Quote:
And the intent was that it (mostly) matches the forum prefixes.
I did not change any Index Name, did I?

Quote:
We do not want to encourage people to mess with that text menu bar at the top by making it TOO easy.
Than make it more hard to mess it up by not having the code for the header in the page itself.

Quote:
It looks to me as if using that template loses the "gray out" of the current index you are on feature.
It is not documented in the template examples, but please take a look at the Kindlet index, where i added that feature, as i noticed that myself.
EDIT: changed some examples: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Temp...terIndexHeader
Quote:
That index line at the top of the page went through a number of revisions already as the versions bounced back and forth between GM and myself.

I think you will have a hard time convincing either of us that it needs more change now.

One of the things you can't see, because it hasn't been coded yet, is that the pre-fix tags in the forum posts here, will not only select the posts you want to see here, but will become clickable - with the click targeted at the top of the respective index page (that line you are trying to replace).
I didn't wanted to change the look or add anything to it.
I only wanted to change the way it is currently implemented in the wiki in a way the reader doesn't notice a change.
I'm not trying to replace that line.

But I dislike the aspekt of opening the wiki source and the first thing i have to scroll over the header, that i don't want to change.
The Wiki formatting language is ugly enough, but it is even worse, when we dont use templates.

Last edited by MaPePeR; 07-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #72
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
But I dislike the aspect of opening the wiki source and the first thing i have to scroll over the header, that i don't want to change.
The Wiki formatting language is ugly enough, but it is even worse, when we dont use templates.
Okay, that makes sense. Perhaps putting it in a template could actually PROTECT it from edits rather than make it "too easy".

We want it to stay the same as it is now, and if moving it to a template can help, that may be desirable in this case.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
But I dislike the aspekt of opening the wiki source and the first thing i have to scroll over the header, that i don't want to change.
Duh...
Sounds like operator error to me - Or the page you are looking at does not have any section headers.

You should __NEVER__ have to "switch to the edit tab and scroll".

Click the "Edit" button to the right hand side of the section you wish to make the edits in. Only that section will open in the editor.

The only use for the "Edit" tab is to change the boiler plate text before the auto-generated TOC.
And __THAT__ text is "cast in stone" - it is the way it is for a reason.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #74
MaPePeR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster
Okay, that makes sense. Perhaps putting it in a template could actually PROTECT it from edits rather than make it "too easy".

We want it to stay the same as it is now, and if moving it to a template can help, that may be desirable in this case.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1
You should __NEVER__ have to "switch to the edit tab and scroll".

Click the "Edit" button to the right hand side of the section you wish to make the edits in. Only that section will open in the editor.
You can not force everyone to stick to the unwritten rule to only use the Edit Button next to the section.
Especially wiki-unexpierienced people might use the "wrong" edit button and then will be confronted with the Header-Source, that might distract them.
When you want to cast the whole header in stone: make the header a template.

So i dont want to discuss what the header should look like or about how many of what Indexes we need.
I only want to encourage you to design the wikipage, how you (hopefully) design a program: You dont copy and paste the header to 12(!) different pages. (or at least that is not considered a "good style")
The Wiki offers us the ability to avoid such things.

Greetings
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

It isn't copy and pasted to 12 different pages.
It is 12 different headers.

Notice the current page is grayed out on each index - when you get your template to do that, we will reconsider using it.

And yes, we can deal with the use of the "edit" tab - it can be disabled for those pages.
So far, you are the only person who has had a problem with using the "edit" tab - so stop using it!

Last edited by knc1; 07-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Tags
hacks, index, tutorials, wiki