Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 AM   #61
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You have to get rid of it and insert your own. Just inserting does not (always) work.
I admit that I am surprised! I always thought the whole check consist in ascertaining whether there is a second user record.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #62
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I have always replaced the first line with my new one by removing the old first line.

What surprises me about frostschutz's post is that he just uses " " (a quoted space) for all the fields (both alphanumeric and binary [true/false]). While there would be no need for the database to concern itself with content, there is normally a need for "Data Type" conformity.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #63
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What surprises me about frostschutz's post is that he just uses " " (a quoted space) for all the fields (both alphanumeric and binary [true/false]).
Empty string, actually.

If you .dump the Kobo database you'll see they often use the string 'false' or 'true' for those so-called binary fields. It should be 0 (for false) or 1 (for true) instead. Or at least, that's what the SQLite documentation recommends for boolean types which it doesn't have. Since Kobo uses strings, that's probably the correct thing to do for the Kobo.

It works, so whatever...

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-03-2015 at 12:48 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #64
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd also like to add, that with this empty user setup, a Kobo sync not only won't work, it also won't abort, which means as long as the sync is running, the wifi will be always on. I'm abusing this property when I need to work with telnet on the Kobo.

On the other hand, if for some reason the "automatic sync" feature is enabled, you will wake up with your Kobo's battery mysteriously drained. That's because even when the device looks like it's in standby, it's still attempting to sync and the wifi eats the battery within a few short hours.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #65
philie
philie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hello, I have a kobo glo 905C is there any way for one of the Guru to create a file or update that we can copy inside the new purchase kobo glo and not have to create a kobo account ( bypass the first time activation ). An easy novice way for mortal newbee ...
philie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #66
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by philie View Post
Hello, I have a kobo glo 905C is there any way for one of the Guru to create a file or update that we can copy inside the new purchase kobo glo and not have to create a kobo account ( bypass the first time activation ). An easy novice way for mortal newbee ...
When you get a new Kobo and plug it into your PC to charge it and in response to the pop-up, you should be able to navigate to "KOBOeReader(?)\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite" and do the following:

If you just want to read your ebooks and do not want to use any of the sync features then you can use your Kobo device without registering. [This is what I have done all along. My memory may not be the greatest anymore but even I can find my place in a book I am reading on multiple devices. Sync is not of much use if you read a book from a single device.]

1. The tool you need.

2. This should let you use the sqlitebrowser File>Open database function to find the "KoboReader.sqlite" file in the .kobo folder of your device.

4. Tshering's original description of the procedure:

"there are several explanations at this forum. I cannot find them myself right now. Anyway, in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");Example for FW 2.5.0:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false")

I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tshering"

For my user for AuraHD 3.1.1:

INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false","false","false")

You can just paste the above string into the "SQL string:" box in the "Execute SQL" tab.
Then click on the "Execute query" button.

5. After you have a zeroed out user and have saved the file, just restart your device and you should be good to go.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-05-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:21 AM   #67
very_rude_Turnip
Enthusiast
very_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura v2
FYI I just got a new Kobo Aura and used this procedure to bypass registration.

I plugged it into my Linux system and mounted the vfat filesystem like so:

sudo mount -L KOBOeReader -o fmask=0000,dmask=0000 /mnt/kobo/
sudo umount /mnt/kobo/

Then edited the sqlite DB:

sqlite3 /mnt/kobo/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite

delete from user;
insert into user values ('','','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',' ','');
.quit

Result:

sqlite> select * from user;
UserID =
UserKey =
UserDisplayName =
UserEmail =
___DeviceID =
FacebookAuthToken =
HasMadePurchase =
IsOneStoreAccount =
IsChildAccount =
RefreshToken =
AuthToken =
AuthType =
Loyalty =
IsLibraryMigrated =
SyncContinuationToken =
Subscription =
LibrarySyncType =
LibrarySyncTime =

Then umount the filesystem and unplug the USB. Reboot if needed.

My current/original software version = 4.0.7523 (9/2/16)

Last edited by very_rude_Turnip; 12-18-2016 at 03:24 AM.
very_rude_Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #68
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by very_rude_Turnip View Post
delete from user;
insert into user values ('','','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',' ','');
.quit
LMAO!!!

We should call this ('','','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',' ','') THUG LIFE! (in reference to interweb meme)

brutal, I thought some values where required, good to know for future firmware updates!!
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:37 AM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluma View Post
LMAO!!!

We should call this ('','','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',' ','') THUG LIFE! (in reference to interweb meme)

brutal, I thought some values where required, good to know for future firmware updates!!
You have to be a bit careful. If you look at the history of modifying the user information to avoid registration, you'll notice the number of values has changes with different firmware revisions.

Personally, I'm a fan of the 'fanciful' email address technique since this makes syncing for firmware upgrades and downloading free ebooks much simpler. Nothing like registering your Kobo ereader with im.a.pseudonym@erehwon.org to give you the feeling that very little work has been done on verification routines.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #70
besucherin
besucherin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
As of software version 4.2.8110 (4f749ed9be, 12/12/16) on the Aura One, you need to add a whole extra ,'' for the empty user entry to work.

Is there a specific reason one of those strings has a space instead of being empty?

BTW, the new schema:
TABLE user(UserID TEXT NOT NULL,
UserKey TEXT NOT NULL,
UserDisplayName TEXT,
UserEmail TEXT,
___DeviceID TEXT,
FacebookAuthToken TEXT,
HasMadePurchase BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
IsOneStoreAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
IsChildAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
RefreshToken TEXT,
AuthToken TEXT,
AuthType TEXT,
Loyalty BLOB,
IsLibraryMigrated BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT true,
SyncContinuationToken TEXT,
Subscription INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
LibrarySyncType TEXT,
LibrarySyncTime TEXT,
SyncTokenAppVersion TEXT,
PRIMARY KEY (UserID));

Last edited by besucherin; 01-13-2017 at 08:49 PM.
besucherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #71
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I'd also like to add, that with this empty user setup, a Kobo sync not only won't work, it also won't abort, which means as long as the sync is running, the wifi will be always on. I'm abusing this property when I need to work with telnet on the Kobo.

On the other hand, if for some reason the "automatic sync" feature is enabled, you will wake up with your Kobo's battery mysteriously drained. That's because even when the device looks like it's in standby, it's still attempting to sync and the wifi eats the battery within a few short hours.
I turned off wi-fi and automatic sync is off and my Kobo still drained overnight.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #72
very_rude_Turnip
Enthusiast
very_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I turned off wi-fi and automatic sync is off and my Kobo still drained overnight.
Same thing happened me a day or two ago after upgrading the to the newest OS. It seems to be okay today though. Might have been a one-off problem, or maybe this registration workaround has caused some bug that eats CPU. Will let you know if it happens again.

Note that I have my wifi configured off, and physically disabled on the board, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.
very_rude_Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #73
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kobo firmware 3.20 reference.

What would it be the fields to set given the following:

Code:
CREATE TABLE user(UserID TEXT NOT NULL,
UserKey TEXT NOT NULL,
UserDisplayName TEXT,
UserEmail TEXT,
___DeviceID TEXT,
FacebookAuthToken TEXT,
HasMadePurchase BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
IsOneStoreAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
IsC$ildAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE,
RefreshToken TEXT,
AuthToken TEXT,
AuthType TEXT,
Loyalty BLOB,
IsLibraryMigrated BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT true,
SyncContinuationToken TEXT,
Subscription INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
PRIMARY $EY (UserID));
Where would it go the fancyful email address here while keeping everything else empty?

thanks
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #74
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The above is just the creation of the table. You need to INSERT or UPDATE.

Why would you keep the email address while the others are empty?

Anyhow, you would need an sqlite query something like this:

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('','','','put.your@email.here','','','','', '','','','','','','','');
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluma View Post
kobo firmware 3.20 reference.
Any reason for using 3.20? I can think of a lot of reasons for not using it, but none for choosing it specifically.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote