Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Unhappy Flashing orange light on power button: what does it mean?

I just got new PRS-T1 purchased in Japan. In Japan it was powered up once and worked. Now back in New Zealand a day later; pushing the power button gives a flashing orange light. Nothing other response, screen blank.

I have had it plugged into my PC via USB for more than 1 hour. No change.

What does this orange light mean?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure if I missed this before, or whether it has changed; but the power button now flashes Orange-Orange-Orange-Orange-Orange - Red - Red, then stops.
This is either when I push the power button of replug the USB back into the PC.
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Perhaps theres not enough power in the USB to charge the unit? Are you trying to connect to a USB hub, rather than a direct USB? Have you tried charging fully before plugging into USB?
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
If plugging it into a USB port doesn't make the unit kick into life and the PC doesn't recognise it at all, I'd try a different PC / USB port just to eliminate power issues mentioned by feenix.

Did you get any response from either the unit or PC when you first plugged it in?
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
rjcroy
Bibliophile

At first I was plugging it into a laptop. Certainly the laptop was not recognizing it as a device, and that did concern me, but I was hoping the USB port would stil be putting power to the the unit.

Later I plugged it in to a desktop PC. That at least have me the orange then red lights.
I left it plugged into the desktop PC over night.

This morning the behaviour has changed again. It still won't boot, but when it is plugged into the desktop PC is has a solid red light. I assume that means it is charging?
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Sounds like it. Many laptops have limited power to USB ports. May be worth investing in a charger imho.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
halipleumon
halipleumon began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 350
sounds like the orange flashy light of death. when my reader was behaving in this exact way it was toast. it's pretty heartbreaking, but you should try sending it in for a new one.
if it's been charging to a solid power connection for a few hours and still will not respond or is unable to be recognized by your computer i would abandon hope.
halipleumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Sadly, it sounds like halipleumon is correct, the PC should at least try to load a USB driver for the device if it was getting some response. It doesn't sound like it does, so it is likely to be kaput.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
You still could try to recover your device. There is an update-mechanism, which will flash the firmware from an sd-card. Similar cases worked out well. See here.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
rjcroy
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
You still could try to recover your device. There is an update-mechanism, which will flash the firmware from an sd-card. Similar cases worked out well. See here.
I want it to stay under warranty, and seeing as it is only a few days old, and only successfully booted once, if it is bust I want it replaced under warranty. The other aspect is that this is a Japanese version PRS-T1 with the Japanese firmware, which is not the typical subject of this forum.

We called Sony Japan support. At first they tried to fob us off by saying that we weren't charging it with a Japanese laptop!
But now a friend is going to take it back to Japan next week, and Sony Japan said they would collect it from the friend's house in Japan and assess it. hmmmm, we will see.

Last edited by rjcroy; 12-09-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Just for the record, there even is a Japanese flavour of the hack, as well as of the restore package, so after successfully bringing the device back to life, you still could flash the Japanese firmware.

But I perfectly understand your reasons for not doing all this.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote