Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #16
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Yes. Delete 2.6 from the device. Load up iTunes and drag and drop v2.5 onto your device. However you are always going to be notified of an update in Appstore now. I have heard there are ways to fool it into thinking you have the latest version.

Now I wonder if the latest version of Kindle for PC also breaks syncing.
I haven't looked at the updates for the iphone so, so far I haven't been getting update messages. I have my K4PC set to NOT automatically update.

Thanks
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Fantastic, it works! And you don't need to jailbreak your phone, just use iPhone Explorer. Copy it into Library/eBooks.

Thanks Andy
What version of Windows and iTunes are you running. It says it needs iTunes 8 or 9.

Carol
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
m0isty
m0isty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Won't work for me, just tells me I am "at the furthest location across all devices" when I try to sync a book between my iphone 4 and my k3
Calibre is all up to date and I have tried reconverting books until I am blue in the face.
Am I doing something wrong? I must admit I did not try the sync on a non-amazon book before the v2.6 update.

My phone is jailbroken, so it's possible for me to revert to an older version of the app if absolutely necessary, but I would rather not...

:EDIT: Seems to have sorted itself out all by itself...strange! Still, all works now so I am chuffed!

Last edited by m0isty; 02-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.
m0isty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Hallyster61
Hallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toysHallyster61 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DX Graphite and Paperwhite
Yes, it works....
Thank you very much Andy

(but on my ipad my kindle application folder is in /var/mobile/applications and not in /var/mobile/user/applications)
Hallyster61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Twonk
Twonk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2i
Thanks from me too!

I've never been able to get iPhone Explorer to work - always crashes out with one error or another. However DiskAid works very well. (It isn't free but there is a time limited trial version).

Thanks again,
Andy
Twonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdB View Post
To get this working again you'll need to jailbreak your phone so you have some way of directly accessing the application folders (such as Iphone Folders http://iphonefolders.com/ )
Thank you for figuring it out! I was wondering what was so special about that one sideloaded book I had that still would sync - and you're right, I had sideloaded it without passing through iTunes.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
NdB
NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3g (One for me, One for the missus) and an iPhone each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyster61 View Post
(but on my ipad my kindle application folder is in /var/mobile/applications and not in /var/mobile/user/applications)
Yeah - that's just me getting carried away. I click the 'User' link to go straight into \var\mobile. just got a bit confused when typing it in as it just shows as \user when you go in that way.

Good to see you don't have to jailbreak too. I couldn't remember which folders were and weren't accessible without jailbreak.
-a
NdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
NdB
NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3g (One for me, One for the missus) and an iPhone each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
What version of Windows and iTunes are you running. It says it needs iTunes 8 or 9.

Carol
I'm on Itunes 10 and it works fine.

-a
NdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Re: Kindle 2.6

Anyone else experience the app crashing when you scroll down through the books in the library (near the latter end)? That happens to me all the time now, so I can't even browse through all the books I have in the library.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I'm on Itunes 10 and it works fine.

-a
Thanks
Carol
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0isty View Post
:EDIT: Seems to have sorted itself out all by itself...strange! Still, all works now so I am chuffed!
To get 2.6 to work, did you sideload the book or e-mail it to your iphone?

Carol
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
tyke99
tyke99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Hi Guys. Formed lurker here, but I just sussed this so I thought I'd register and post.

To get this working again you'll need to jailbreak your phone so you have some way of directly accessing the application folders (such as Iphone Folders http://iphonefolders.com/ )

It appears that the iphone app is assuming that anything in the folder where it keeps stuff that was 'sent' to the app is proper kindle content, whereas anything sideloaded through iTunes is external content therefore there's no point trying to whispersync it. I guess they're assuming no-one would bother downloading and installing proper amazon content from a PC when you're iphone is already connected to the internet...

So the solution is nice and simple. Find the kindle application folder (in /var/mobile/user/applications) then put the book in the 'Library/ebooks' folder (loading through iTunes sticks it in the 'Documents' folder instead.) The little refresh button will no longer be greyed out on the book, and it syncs as before.

this works fine with .mobi or .azw files.

Regards
-Andy
HELP!

I can't get this to work at all. I've used this to copy books to an iphone and an ipad and put books in the ebooks folder as above, using iphone explorer on a Mac (as well as on my Kindle) but when I open Kindle on the iphone or ipad, the books are just not there.

Can anyone help me and tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Last edited by tyke99; 02-23-2011 at 07:58 AM.
tyke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #28
jrkorman
jrkorman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke99 View Post
HELP!

I can't get this to work at all. I've used this to copy books to an iphone and an ipad and put books in the ebooks folder as above, using iphone explorer on a Mac (as well as on my Kindle) but when I open Kindle on the iphone or ipad, the books are just not there.

Can anyone help me and tell me where I'm going wrong please?
tyke99,

I had to shut down and restart my iPod touch before the books showed up.

Jeff
jrkorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
sadievan
Wizard

Does anyone know if the 2.6 app will sync the books if they are emailed to the iphone to open in the Kindle app?

Carol
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
tyke99
tyke99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkorman View Post
tyke99,

I had to shut down and restart my iPod touch before the books showed up.

Jeff
Thanks for that.

I did that and the books appeared in Kindle on the iPhone and iPad but I can't get them to sync the furthest page read with my Kindle device or with each other. Any help on this? They both say that I'm at location 1 and ask me if I want to sync to location 13 read at 0900 this morning. I've read to location 250 since then. When I click on 'Yes' nothing happens anyway.

Thanks again in advance.
tyke99 is offline   Reply With Quote