Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
HTC Android Phones and Kindle for Android ?

I have a Sony PRS-600 and a K3 (3G + WiFi), My wife also has a K3

She needs a new phone, and likes the HTC phones,

Has anyone any experience of using HTC Android phones ? and using Kindle for Android on them ?

I ask this as she will have phone with her everywhere, but some places she won't have her Kindle, and we wondered just how well they work ?

Also any Android Apps for reading ePub ?

Thanks for any info / comment / advice
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi Kevin,

I have the HTC Desire and had a Hero before that. I've played with Kindle on Android and it's a good app, but lacks features of the likes of Aldiko and FBReader (the best two imo).

I use epub files almost exclusively now as the formatting is the nicest and they are easy to work with. If you grab a copy of the freebie Calibre on the PC, you can convert pretty much any file to and from epub format. For reading these, I use FBReader. Again, another free program, regularly updated, feature rich, stable and great to read books with in bed.

If you need any more info, just ask, I'll try and help as much as I can. If you'd like me to reload Kindle on my phone to answer your questions, I'd be happy to do a quick review of it for you.

All the best,
Leaston

PS: I've grabbed the Kindle app again and am writing up a review for you. Watch this space!

Last edited by leaston; 11-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's my Android Kindle App review as promised:

When first run, you are shown a login/register screen. It says for Amazon.com, but I entered my Amazon.co.uk credentials and it picked up my account.

Once into the app, you go into the menu and select Kindle Store. Oddly, this opens in a browser window, rather than through the app.

On the browser page, you can select any of the following options:
Browse Books by Category
Kindle Bestsellers
New & Noteworthy
Free Popular Classics
Recommended for You

For this mini review, I selected to grab a freebie classic. This takes you to another page that just looks like a mobile version of the Amazon site, all very familiar. As per the site, you can filter books by price, popularity, bestselling etc.

I chose Dracula as my book. After clicking on the "Buy Now" button (which showed a zero cost), I was frustratingly taken to a sign in page. So, even after entering my credentials in the Kindle app, I had to do it again on this page. Hmm.

Once signed in (again), I get to another page offering to send the book to my HTC Desire. Nice. I presume the app detected which phone I'm using. The book now begins to download in the background while I can either continue shopping or return to the Kindle app. I'll just add here that my Desire is already connected to my home Internet connection via wifi, which was all transparently picked up by the Kindle app.

Going back to the Kindle app home screen and.... no book yet. Ahh, I'm downloading on the PC! I pause the download and wait with baited breath for Dracula to appear...I must admit, I'd have preferred some kind of progress bar or something here. The Kindle store allowed the transaction and informed me that the book would be downloaded and automatically sent to my Kindle app, but I have no way of telling how far it's got or how long it will take. So, I wait.

Ok, nothing is happening after 5 minutes waiting, so I begin fiddling with the app menu. There's an "Archived Items" menu which has a comment "To download books you already own, select Archived Items from the Menu". Ok, I'll bite. Yep, in Archived Items, I have a copy of Dracula! Now, that's a bit confusing to say the least. The Kindle store says the book will be added to the app Home screen. Yet, in the app, you have to go into Archived Items to see the book, NOT the home screen.

Clicking on the book and guess what? Yes, it begins to download! I think someone needs to check this app for consistency. While downloading, I am shown some helpful reading tips. THings like "Tap in the margins or flick to turn pages" and "Touch and hold over text to add notes, highlights, and more".

Finally, into the book and I'm looking at a plain white background with a nice, large serif font with Chapter One displayed. As the Desire screen resolution is so high for the screen size, the text looks lovely. It's very crisp and clean looking and easy on the eyes. Entering the menu, I can change the font size to one of 5 different sizes and pick a background of white, sepia or black (which also changes the font to white). The sizes are good, although you'd need really bad eyesight to need the largest size and you're only getting something like 40-50 words on screen, so it would require a lot of flicking to get through any book! The smallest is fine for me.

In terms of config, this is where the Kindle app has a long way to go to contend with FBReader. If I want to read with the white background in a dark room, it would be far too stark and bright to be comfortable with the Kindle app. With FBReader, I can change the font and background colours to anything I want. I can swipe my finger down the left side of the screen to alter the brightness (just in the app itself), change fonts, hyphenation, margins, scrollbar and footer settings, text scrolling method and more. The Kindle app can handle bookmarks and when you highlight text, you can add notes and even search Wikipedia online for whatever you have highlighted. How useful this is, I don't know.

Quitting and reopening the Kindle app has forced Dracula to the home screen. So, it seems you have to actually open a book before it downloads to your phone. The other failing of the Kindle app is that if you have a lot of books, you can't really do anything other than have a long list on the home screen and sort them by author, title or most recent. FBReader automatically puts books into virtual folders according to the author's name, which makes navigating dozens of books (like I have) very easy and quick.

So, in conclusion. The Android Kindle app is a mixed bag really. Once you get a book into the app, it's nice enough to read with. I think the process you have to go through to get books onto the phone is far from intuitive though and could be very confusing to some. It needs many more features before I'd consider using it regularly. But, the real killer for me is to do with book formats. Kindle is limited to what Amazon supplies and in their proprietary format. FBReader et al enables me to grab books from anywhere I like, in any format and will just display them without restriction or complaint. This is the dealbreaker for me with Kindle the app, and the device itself.

Anyway, I hope this helps you make a decision. I'd really recommend Android as a platform for reading ebooks on, partly because of its open nature, but also because of the choice you have of formats and book reading software.

All the best,
Leaston
Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WOW Leaston,

:

That has to be on of the most comprehensive and certainly the most useful response EVER, hence the slightly over the top smilies

I think you have decided for us to go for one of the new HTC phones, and to install Kindle and Aldiko and FBreader too,

I can't thank you enough for the in depth review even though it was rather inconvenient and awkward for you,

As for which phone still not completely decided but I certainly like the Desire HD which looks brilliant,

Oh my wife told me to blow you a kiss in thanks for all your effort ... Sorry mate, but I think that might just be a little over the top ... Hope you don't mind

Again thanks a lot
Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
leaston
Addict

Hi Kevin,

LOL! I love your reply!

You're more than welcome. It only took me around half an hour or so to write the review, so it wasn't hard work for me. If it has helped one way or another, it was worth the effort.

In terms of the phone, I think you'll be happy with the Desire. It's a nice smartphone, HTC hardware is extremely well built and reliable and Android is great whether you're just an ordinary user or someone who likes to hack the OS and play around under the bonnet.

Anyway, if you need any more help, just give me a shout. I don't mind at all.

Cheers,
Leaston
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
Wife and I just 2 new phones – HTC EVO (me), Samsung Galaxy (her). Two major differences.

HTC has on virtual keyboard and even when in horz position still easy to fat finger a key. The Galaxy has the slide out board which even I can use easily. Don't do much texting so mine isn’t a problem for me. Also noticed that my screen appears to have a more sensitive touch which I like for game playing.

Second one is more problematic. In our house I get 3 / 4 bars of service, she only gets 1 / 2 and that results is many dropped calls for her. First phone that’s happened with. Called Sprint and because we also have a PCIM card and router for our computers, they’re sending us a signal booster for free with no monthly service charge. Will probably hack one of our phones to turn it into a hotspot. But, not right now.

Finally have 3 readers I use. Pandigital Novel, HTC, and Nextar T30. HTC is a great reader and very easy on the eyes. Nextar was my backup now it’s the HTC.

Look around for one of those rechargeable 5vdc batteries. Got one for $5 at WalMart. Works great and you’ll need it because these Android phones are real power hogs. I always make sure what apps are running and shutdown any that look / use external signals, GPS, Navigation, Maps etc.
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
leaston
Addict

Yeah, the smartphones aren't great with batteries. The Evo is a really nice HTC phone though. I haven't seen it in the UK. It's probably available somewhere here, but isn't common like the Desire and Hero.

I'm on my 4th smartphone now and have adapted to the need to charge often because most of them are poor. I have one of those emergency chargers too (got it from a pound shop of all places!) and it's worth its weight in gold.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
I take it a pound shop is a discount store.

Since I got my Pandigital I’ve been scouring the big box stores we have looking for various accesories. So far have a solar charger, 9 / 12 vdc external battery, 3 wall chargers, and an auto DC / AC converter. They all fit into an inexpensive case ($10).

If you’d like to see it, go to the Slatedroid site and look in the Pandigital forum for

PDN Case on steroids part 1

Forgot to mention the galaxy comes with one of the best phone headsets I've had. Took my wife's, she dosen't use it.
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Has anyone any experience of using HTC Android phones ? and using Kindle for Android on them ?
I have an old HTC Magic and am reading my third ebook with Kindle for Android. The app is good enough for me. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be, yet I can read comfortably.

Here is a recent review of Kindle for Android with some usage tips.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
leaston
Addict

lamoe - Sorry, yes the Pound shops here are discount stores where everything costs £1UKP. They do sell a lot of junk, but there are some great bargains to be had too.

amoroso - Thanks for the link to the review. I am really, really impressed about the way the Kindle app and physical units sync, even to the point of saving your current page. Now, that's an amazing feature! Wow, I love the idea of it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
@lamoe
have you tried swype keyboard it comes preinstalled in galaxy phones you might have download for your phone but once you use it you will never want to go back to normal keyboards
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Thanks a lot guys, It's helped us lots on deciding, we have now ordered an HTC Desire HD for my wife on a 24 month contract which offers all she could need, so now just have to wait 2 or 3 days ... It's not here yet LOL ... We will be back when we screw up setting everything up ... Can't wait to play ...

Thanks Again Everyone
Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
leaston
Addict

Welcome to the Android Owners Club Kevin and your missus. Good choice!! Of course, you'll want one next
Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Welcome to the Android Owners Club Kevin and your missus. Good choice!! Of course, you'll want one next
Don't ... I've apparently already had my Christmas presents for 25 years

Thanks again Leaston

Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes the HTD Desire HD is a really good phone. It's the EVO baseline plus more.

HTC sense UI is really the best Android UI in my opinion, course I went with a Galaxy S because of the screen and Hardware.

As far as eBook Readers I think the two best are Kindle 4 Android and Moon+.

Since you own an Kindle you'll enjoy the wispersync feature. Also it is the only ereader that allows one to annotate and highlight books. The downside is that it does not handle books that are not generated from Amazon. You can read them and bookmark them but the application always crashes. Which makes bookmarking useless. The only feature that works for non Amazon books is the last page read.

Moon+ is on par with the other readers and gives even more options than other ebook readers. It supports ePUB and a few other formats. The Moon+ Pro is in beta and supports TTS. The way you activate it is by shaking the phone, great if you listen to audio books on a commute.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote