Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like fully justified book pages and/or have the smallest margins possible?
I would like FULL page justification for all book paragraphs 9 11.54%
I would like to OPTIONALLY to fully justify book paragraphs 26 33.33%
I like the way all books are not fully justified – no change requested 16 20.51%
I would like the left and right margins to be ALWAY made as SMALL as possible 26 33.33%
I would like to be able to chose my own page margins 28 35.90%
I don't care - I like it the way it is currently 17 21.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I use Calibre exclusively for organizing my eBook library. It is nothing to convert within Calibre to correct margins, spacing, etc. However, for someone who does not normally use Calibre it would seem more work.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
JBlyth - Would you please privately (or here, I guess) send me a message: It seems that Australia is "ahead of the game" when it comes to some eReader devices. Could you just give me a little background of what the past year has been like for eReader consumers in your fine country? Just for my personal enrichment ... THANK YOU!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #18
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
JBlyth - Would you please privately (or here, I guess) send me a message: It seems that Australia is "ahead of the game" when it comes to some eReader devices. Could you just give me a little background of what the past year has been like for eReader consumers in your fine country? Just for my personal enrichment ... THANK YOU!
Hi Clint,

I must admit that my experience with eReaders only started at the beginning of June when the KOBO was released (and very quickly sold out) in Australia.

I had been watching the options for some time as I always get done for excess baggage weight (too many books) when I go to Japan each year for 8 weeks from August.

I almost bought a Kindle, but I didn't want to be tied to any particular book store, and the KOBO was much better priced in OZ- at the beginning of June anyway.

The KOBO suits me to perfection for what I need, which is basically to be able to easily read books from many different sources. The new firmware has improved things markedly, and I use CALIBRE to get the formatting as I like it, and also to convert from different formats on occasion. They make a perfect combination.

PM if I can help in any way!

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #19
dwprice
dwprice doesn't litterdwprice doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Ragged right margins are easier to read.

It would be great to collect all feature requests together so we can help the developers focus on the ones with the most negative impact on KOBO use based on typical use cases.
dwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
That IS, however, how most treebook novels are formatted. Some people are just used to it.
Yes, you're right, haha. Only shows that I don't read tree books all that much.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

I have the same problem with gigantic margins on many ePub files I've used through ADE. I can't fix these in Calibre because I have no idea how to remove DRM. It's a shame, because this would be an easy solution to the big formatting problem: the space between paragraphs, and the lack of a first-line indent.

RE: justification -- Physical books have justified text because it's a more elegant and readable way of designing a book. It simply LOOKS better, but also the eye is thrown by ragged-right text (even if we're not conscious of this happening).

But on a small screen like an eInk screen, justification has the exact opposite effect. It looks worse and is less readable because of the gaping holes and rivers created in the text.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Since margins can be set in several ways, I don't see any easy fix for Kobo here. For me (until they make it illegal to break a lock in Canada) I prefer to be able to edit the margins as I wish.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post
Since margins can be set in several ways, I don't see any easy fix for Kobo here.
True... BUT! They just fixed the font resizing issue, which was also caused by what you mentioned above. So it shouldn't be too too difficult to modify those algorithms to work with indents instead of text size.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #24
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I would prefer that margins are left the way they are. I'm a graphic designer, and the idea of text going right to the edge of the screen makes me shudder. The same goes for fully justified text on such as small screen.
i'm with you on full justification being shudder-inducing on a small screen (and especially on one with less resolution than a dead tree book).

but i find that the margin i am used to is provided by the beige kobo's bezel, since its color is so close to the e-ink colour. and i find myself reformatting books in calibre all the time now, to minimize the margins on the actual screen. this is probably quite different for the black kobo.

i am not sure how much configurability we can expect from a bare bones reader, but it sure doesn't hurt to consider it while brainstorming -- when in doubt, make it configurable.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #25
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Bump!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #26
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I use Calibre exclusively for organizing my eBook library. It is nothing to convert within Calibre to correct margins, spacing, etc. However, for someone who does not normally use Calibre it would seem more work.
I tried to use Calibre to adjust the margins in a book I'm reading. After conversion I saw absolutely no difference in the margin. However the book went from taking almost 2 minutes to load down to about 10 seconds. I'm not sure why this happened.
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #27
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan View Post
I tried to use Calibre to adjust the margins in a book I'm reading. After conversion I saw absolutely no difference in the margin. However the book went from taking almost 2 minutes to load down to about 10 seconds. I'm not sure why this happened.
Hi Marleyfan,

From an earlier post of mine.....

Personally, I use CALIBRE to reformat all my books, but I think many users would not wish to go down the remove DRM, remove a file or two (page-template.xpgt seems to be the current "large margin" culprit) from the EPUB itself, and then run through the CALIBRE convert process with margins set to zero etc.

It seems different EPUBs set their margins in different ways, but in many the page-template.xpgt seems to be the main culprit....

Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #28
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
Hi Marleyfan,

From an earlier post of mine.....

Personally, I use CALIBRE to reformat all my books, but I think many users would not wish to go down the remove DRM, remove a file or two (page-template.xpgt seems to be the current "large margin" culprit) from the EPUB itself, and then run through the CALIBRE convert process with margins set to zero etc.

It seems different EPUBs set their margins in different ways, but in many the page-template.xpgt seems to be the main culprit....

Thanks John, removing that pesky file fixed one of my books which Calibre was unable to remove the huge margins from.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Thanks John, removing that pesky file fixed one of my books which Calibre was unable to remove the huge margins from.
Can you explain to me how to remove the file. I don't even see such a file. I seem to only have 2 files for the book. One is the cover picture and the other is the .epub file. Do I have to dig into the .epub file to fine the .xpgt file. If so....how do I do that? Thanks
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
Here is a rather poor image to show the effect of reducing the margins to a minimum and fully justifying the text.

See how much more text is available on the left image, when compared to the standard ADE format? I think it is more readable too!

There is NO standard ADE format. The format you get from ePub via ADE is how the CSS specifies it to be. I change my ePub to specify no margins and if the publishes changes the base font size, I change it so it's left at the default. Also, any extraneous paragraph spaces are removed. And lastly, I set paragraph indents to be 1.1em.

Given the two screens, I prefer the one on the left based on the better formatting. It has nothing to do with the justification settings. However, the header for the Act I is better on the right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote