Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like fully justified book pages and/or have the smallest margins possible?
I would like FULL page justification for all book paragraphs 9 11.54%
I would like to OPTIONALLY to fully justify book paragraphs 26 33.33%
I like the way all books are not fully justified – no change requested 16 20.51%
I would like the left and right margins to be ALWAY made as SMALL as possible 26 33.33%
I would like to be able to chose my own page margins 28 35.90%
I don't care - I like it the way it is currently 17 21.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Next Firmware Update - Page margins and full justification

I like full page justification and to use as much of the screen as possible for text, an also to have the left and right margins as small as possible. Currently I have to "fix" all my books manually with CALIBRE to attain the look I like.

Would you like the KOBO top have some simple options for this?

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-05-2010 at 03:49 AM.
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Bump to keep on first page....
Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
I voted i don't care because honestly i can't see a big difference in my mind.

Others might be thinking the same thing too.

Perhaps a few before and after pics of how you've adjusted it?
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

I would prefer that margins are left the way they are. I'm a graphic designer, and the idea of text going right to the edge of the screen makes me shudder. The same goes for fully justified text on such as small screen.

But I have no problem if those settings were user configurable. The each their own.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I would prefer that margins are left the way they are. I'm a graphic designer, and the idea of text going right to the edge of the screen makes me shudder. The same goes for fully justified text on such as small screen.

But I have no problem if those settings were user configurable. The each their own.
Hi Artificial,

It looks like the absolute minimum possible is a margin left and right of 6mm. I will post a couple of photos later today to demonstrate the difference in appearance.

As you rightly say - each to their own....

Cheers - John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Here is a rather poor image to show the effect of reducing the margins to a minimum and fully justifying the text.

See how much more text is available on the left image, when compared to the standard ADE format? I think it is more readable too!

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I don't like the idea of full justification. It only adds more spaces between words and IMO does not make sense in novels. Smaller margins would be nice though...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I don't like the idea of full justification. It only adds more spaces between words and IMO does not make sense in novels.
That IS, however, how most treebook novels are formatted. Some people are just used to it.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
onaeD
onaeD began at the beginning.

Unhappy

I want to change my vote!

I don't want justification changed.

I thought it meant for PDF files and zooming

Please don't change it Kobo!
onaeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I like it the way it is now...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
I use KoboBulkFixer to justify mine before adding to Calibre.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
See how much more text is available on the left image, when compared to the standard ADE format?
All the ePubs I've read already have a similar margin to your left-hand (small margin) image.

I agree that the margins in your right-hand image are excessively large.

I've seen people ask about trying to remove margins entirely, which seems crazy to me, but 6 or 7mm is fine. But that's what I have already, so I don't feel any need to change it

Justification is one of those things that really depends on the font size you prefer to read at. At small point sizes justified text works well, but at large point sizes rivers start to appear in the text and it looks nasty.

I actually intentionally left-align the text in my ePubs for this reason.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I would like the left and right margins to be ALWAY made as SMALL as possible ...

You guys - currently in the "majority" on this poll - bug me ... 'cause I NEVER use "absolutes." (grin) There's going to be an odd ePub or .pdf come along that you want to margin-modify and, if you have your vote, you'll come back here and scream bloody murder that kobo listened and did what you asked them to do.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I would like the left and right margins to be ALWAY made as SMALL as possible ...

You guys - currently in the "majority" on this poll - bug me ... 'cause I NEVER use "absolutes." (grin) There's going to be an odd ePub or .pdf come along that you want to margin-modify and, if you have your vote, you'll come back here and scream bloody murder that kobo listened and did what you asked them to do.

Completely agree with your sentiment. Absolutes are a fickle bitch and should be used very sparingly.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
All the ePubs I've read already have a similar margin to your left-hand (small margin) image.
Hi Artificial,

I guess we all have different experiences. I have found many of the EPUBs I have downlaod have quite massive left margins, as in the right image above.

Personally, I use CALIBRE to reformat all my books, but I think many users would not wish to go down the remove DRM, remove a file or two (page-template.xpgt seems to be the current "large margin" culprit) from the EPUB itself, and then run through the CALIBRE convert process with margins set to zero etc.

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia