Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
DerekTheGeek
DerekTheGeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question PDF Conversion - Examples?

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing a Sony eReader for reading many of my IT books. Currently I use my Tablet PC for reading these eBooks, but the eye strain from reading a computer screen is getting too much for me. I have seen and handled a Sony eReader in a brick and mortar store and I love it's form factor, size, and most of all...display.

I know that the eReader has issues displaying PDF documents, but what I am wondering is how much difference do some of the tools that have emerged, such as RasterFarian, make when reading PDF documents on the eReader? Most all my eBooks are in DRM-Free PDF format so PDF is what I have to go with. I was looking at the iRex iLiad, as it seems to handle PDFs better, but the price is just out of my reach.

Does anyone have any before/after photos of PDF documents that have been converted using some of the tools available? I have not yet purchased an eReader as I wanted to get a chance to see what I could expect for PDF display, so any photos would be very helpful to me. Thanks everyone.

- dtg
DerekTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
DerekTheGeek

Ask and yee shall find

Well... all I can say is, I really did try the search option before I posted. I decided to troll the postings one by one and found two other posting where people answered the very question I asked. Here they are....

http://hightech.afmag.net/pdf-and-the-sony-reader.html

http://hightech.afmag.net/the-sony-r...fs-part-2.html

Thanks to "athlonkmf"!

- dtg
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Derek,

If your main interest is reading PDF, don't get a Reader. PDF docs are generally formatted for A4 - to read them you really do need a device with an A4 screen. I would suggest an A4-format Tablet PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Harry, he's already using a Tablet PC

Derek, if you're reading IT-documents, there is also an option in rasterfarian which allows you to split a page in two too. But I find that for the books I converted, it's quite readable.

In fact, even without converting, they're readable, as you've seen yourself in the part2 of the article.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Harry, he's already using a Tablet PC
Yes, I saw that, but the mention of "eye strain" makes me suspect that it's one with a smaller screen. The point about an A4-sized screen is that you can read A4 PDFs at their "natural" size.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
DerekTheGeek

The Tablet PC I have is an HP TC4400. The screen size is 10.4". With a resolution of 1024x768. I work in front of a computer all day long and find that when I try to read eBooks on my Tablet PC, my eyes seem to be strained. My assumption was that the strain was due to the refresh rate of the LCD.

One of the big advantages to the eInk devices was the lack of any refresh rate. Less strain on the eyes. Hence why I was interested in the Sony eReader.

Incidentally, I think I have made up my mind and I am planning to purchase the Sony eReader this afternoon. Thanks for all the feedback!

- dtg
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
The Tablet PC I have is an HP TC4400. The screen size is 10.4".
I think you mean 12.1", DerekTheGeek.

I'm working on a TC4400 right now, coincidentally enough: the office recently got it for me for telecommuting. But they're also letting me take a 17" LCD monitor with me to use with it most of the time, which is a great relief, let me tell you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Derek,

If your main interest is reading PDF, don't get a Reader. PDF docs are generally formatted for A4 - to read them you really do need a device with an A4 screen. I would suggest an A4-format Tablet PC.
Actually, a great many of them are letter size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, and A4 and Letter size are widely considered more or less interchangeable (and A4 is easier to type!), as you well know, you rascal.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, and A4 and Letter size are widely considered more or less interchangeable (and A4 is easier to type!), as you well know, you rascal.
Exactly. A4 is a little bit "taller" and a little bit "narrower" than US Letter, but they are pretty much interchangeable. Provided they have reasonable margins, you can print an A4 page on a "Letter"-sized piece of paper, and vice versa, without truncating any of the text.

It would make life easier if the US would adopt the same measurement systems that the rest of the world uses
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

This one's for you, HarryT!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. A4 is a little bit "taller" and a little bit "narrower" than US Letter, but they are pretty much interchangeable. Provided they have reasonable margins, you can print an A4 page on a "Letter"-sized piece of paper, and vice versa, without truncating any of the text.

It would make life easier if the US would adopt the same measurement systems that the rest of the world uses
You do know that the rest of the world is wrong. US Letter is what should be adopted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
lol, come to think of it I don't remember using the goofy A4 paper standard in South America either; so it isn't just the US not using it (though they do use it here in Japan, along with the rest of the detested metric system ).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote