Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
mowbray
mowbray began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
PDF virtual printer as text not image

It looks to me like PDF files created with say PDFCreator are in fact like scanned documents - i.e the content doesnt get indexed.

Anyone know of a PDF virtual printer that creates text based PDF files?
mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
CutePDF makes PDFs that are searchable on the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
mowbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
CutePDF makes PDFs that are searchable on the Kindle.
I have printed Pdfs using CutePDF, PDFWriter, and Universal Document Converter. I can search within those documents, but when I do a search from the home page it does not work. It appears PDFs are not included in the Kindle-level index if that makes sense?

Non PDF files can be searched fine from the home page. In the search results it doesnt say any documents are still to be indexed, and I also tried a restart (off button for 20secs).

Any ideas?

Last edited by mowbray; 02-05-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. I just tried it. From the home page a searched for a word I knew only existed in my CutePDF created document and the search found it. How long are you waiting for indexing to be completed (this document has been on my Kindle for a long time)?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
mowbray

I have had some of the pdfs on there for 24-48 hours, but none of them appear to be indexed.

There doesnt seem to be any means to check whether a particular file has been indexed or is going to be indexed. I dont see a note saying that any are waiting to be indexed when I search.

Did you send your PDFs over Whispernet or via USB?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbray View Post

Did you send your PDFs over Whispernet or via USB?
USB because it's free!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
mowbray

Yes, I use USB for the same reason.

According to this discussion https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72707 only PDF metadata is indexed and searchable - not the actual text.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbray View Post
Yes, I use USB for the same reason.

According to this discussion https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72707 only PDF metadata is indexed and searchable - not the actual text.
My search was not for metadata and it worked, so that information is incorrect.

EDIT: As I pointed out in the above thread, *I* was incorrect, not Wallcraft. I forgot I had a mobi version of the same PDF document on my Kindle. That was where my "global" search results were coming from, not the PDF. Searches from within the PDF DO work.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-05-2010 at 01:06 PM.