Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #2536
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
oh didn't know about that thanks :-D (was already planning a factory reset) the update changed my root psw too
is normal right?

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /dev/input/*
crw-r-----    1 root     root       13,  64 Dec 29 19:41 /dev/input/event0
crw-r-----    1 root     root       13,  65 Dec 29 19:41 /dev/input/event1
crw-r-----    1 root     root       10, 223 Dec 29 19:41 /dev/input/uinput

/dev/input/by-path:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Dec 29 19:41 platform-imx-i2c.0-platform-max77696-onkey.0-event -> ../event0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Dec 29 19:41 platform-imx-i2c.1-event -> ../event1
[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 3.0.35-lab126 #2 PREEMPT Fri Nov 25 06:52:32 PST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
[root@kindle root]#
Yes and No.
It is a complete image except for /var/local/* and /mnt/us/*
(the user storage areas).
So that includes /etc/* as getting overwritten.

But if you are using our USBnetwork package - your ssh password is in /mnt/us/* (the visible USB storage area).

All of the user name's passwords in the Amazon image are normally disabled.
But you should not be using those with our add-in packages.

# 1 2 3 4 5
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #2537
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But if you are using our USBnetwork package - your ssh password is in /mnt/us/* (the visible USB storage area).
uhm where ? (full path plz?) :-) i enabled use openSSH and changed the root psw with passwd
is better use a rsa key?
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #2538
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
uhm where ? (full path plz?) :-) i enabled use openSSH and changed the root psw with passwd
is better use a rsa key?
I asked you to keep the config file in its 'as shipped' state.

You changed it, you support your own changes.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #2539
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Quote:
I asked you to keep the config file in its 'as shipped' state.

You changed it, you support your own changes.
actually i have the default now
only changed stuff from kual
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #2540
arnox
arnox began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hello guys!
I'm fighting with my PW2 to jailbreak it but so far, no success. I did follow the first post several times, but always the same problem.
I have done the following actions: reset, downgraded, install of the JB. I can see the ***Jailbreak*** message. I get the MKK / RP directories but not the mrpackages.
What am I doing wrong???
Thanks for your help
arnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #2541
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnox View Post
Hello guys!
I'm fighting with my PW2 to jailbreak it but so far, no success. I did follow the first post several times, but always the same problem.
I have done the following actions: reset, downgraded, install of the JB. I can see the ***Jailbreak*** message. I get the MKK / RP directories but not the mrpackages.
What am I doing wrong???
Thanks for your help
try installing MrPI (Mobileread Package Installer).

After getting done here, you are suppose to go back to the current jailbreak (the one that sent you here) and complete Steps #7 and #8.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #2542
arnox
arnox began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
try installing MrPI (Mobileread Package Installer).

After getting done here, you are suppose to go back to the current jailbreak (the one that sent you here) and complete Steps #7 and #8.
Hi again, that was simple in the end, I only needed to complete your tutorial. Many thanks
arnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #2543
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnox View Post
Hi again, that was simple in the end, I only needed to complete your tutorial. Many thanks
You are welcome.
and not the first to think they where done when they finished here.
(One of the things on my too-fix list about the directions)

Edit:
Fixed in the current directions for the PW-2

Last edited by knc1; 01-03-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #2544
moontear
moontear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 Wifi
JailBreak and everything successful, but can't figure out the root password.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 WiFi, latest firmware (5.8.5)
Using USBNetwork 0.21.N r13368

I AM able to connect via USB as well as via WiFi, just the root password doesn't stick.

I tried the following:
  • root:<empty>
  • root:mario
  • root:fionaXYZ (generated by kindletool, using Serial Number)
  • root:fionaXYZ2 (recovery pw generated by kindletool, using Serial Number)

I checked the serial number I used for generating the code about 10 times. It's always access denied. Am I doing something wrong? Is my only chance to use diag mode & recovery pack and copy the /etc/passwd? The device has never been jailbreaked so it should still be default whatever that means.

Last edited by moontear; 01-08-2017 at 07:47 AM.
moontear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #2545
knc1
Going Viral

Yes, you are doing several things wrong.

(Dropbear - the default) SSH over USB cable to 'main' OS:
No password required, No username required, if challenged for either, press 'enter'

TelNeT over USB cable to 'main' OS:
TelNet does not use passwords.

Kindle's IP address for its end of the cable is as set in the config file.
Be certain you are not trying to use the IP address assigned to the PC end of the cable (unless you really mean to ssh or telnet into your own PC).

Networking over the USB cable depends on physical security - it is assumed you have the entire length of the USB cable in easy view and could tell if it was wire-tapped.

Networking over Wifi for either Dropbear or OpenSSH server (Dropbear is the default):
Kindle end of the connection IP address - as assigned by DHCP (usually your AP/Router).
Public key authentication (the recommend and documented) would work, if you followed the directions for doing PuBKey auth.
User/Password authentication - will also work, if you set root's password with the passwd command - not recommended, the change will disappear with the next update).

IIRC - TelNet over Wifi is blocked - considered non-secure.

= = = = =

The rootassword generated by KindleTool is for the 'Diags' OS.
Kindles are dual boot.
Installation of the RP is what installs an SSH server into 'Diags'.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #2546
moontear
moontear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 Wifi
This is all news to me. Awesome!

However no dice. With ssh Just using username:<ENTER> and password: <ENTER> still gets me access denied. Via WiFi and as well via usb cable. Enabling the dropbear banner I get a "Welcome to Kindle" Banner after the username, but still have to enter the password and empty doesn't work.

Telnet works right away and I also seem to be root (didn't know there was telnet, great). Short of just trying to use John the Ripper to get to the root password, what else can I try? Or should I just set up PubKey auth via telnet and be done with it - whatever the password is?

------------
WAIT: I tried again with user: root, password: <empty>/<ENTER> and it works.

I don't know what the hell changed but... it works now. Thanks for the heads up knc1. I'll set up pukey auth now and already changed the root password to something I can remember. Better than empty ;-)

Last edited by moontear; 01-08-2017 at 04:15 PM.
moontear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #2547
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontear View Post
This is all news to me. Awesome!

However no dice. With ssh Just using username:<ENTER> and password: <ENTER> still gets me access denied. Via WiFi and as well via usb cable. Enabling the dropbear banner I get a "Welcome to Kindle" Banner after the username, but still have to enter the password and empty doesn't work.

Telnet works right away and I also seem to be root (didn't know there was telnet, great). Short of just trying to use John the Ripper to get to the root password, what else can I try? Or should I just set up PubKey auth via telnet and be done with it - whatever the password is?

------------
WAIT: I tried again with user: root, password: <empty>/<ENTER> and it works.

I don't know what the hell changed but... it works now. Thanks for the heads up knc1. I'll set up pukey auth now and already changed the root password to something I can remember. Better than empty ;-)
Previous to your screwing with the password database,
password authentication for root was disabled.

It was not the password database that allowed you to log in over the usb cable, it was our special build of dropbear.

Before your change, the root password could not be 'hacked' - because the system did not allow any to be used.
But now you changed that, now it can be 'hacked' - especially because it is easy for a human to remember.
It would be best if you put /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow back the way you found them.
(or wait for the next update, which will over-write them)

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #2548
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I'm trying to install the USBnetwork .bin file on my KOA, but the update option remains grey. I've restarted the device, re-copied the .bin file into the root, and the option is still greyed out. What am I doing wrong?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #2549
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'm trying to install the USBnetwork .bin file on my KOA, but the update option remains grey. I've restarted the device, re-copied the .bin file into the root, and the option is still greyed out. What am I doing wrong?
Waylander you Need to install .bin files putting those files in a folder in your kindle (mrpackages) once done that, you can install if they aré the correct versión for your Kindle, with KUAL -> Helper-> MrPackage Installer
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #2550
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Hi thanks for replying. I've tried that and the update option is still greyed out. I put the .bin file in the mrpackages folder, unplugged, went to settings, went to update and it was grey. I'm really stuck given I'm doing everything I should in the right order.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch