Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Science book shall broaden our horizons in June?
Longitude by Dava Sobel 5 25.00%
The Clockwork Universe: Isaac Newton, the Royal Society, and the Birth of the Modern World by Edward Dolnick 5 25.00%
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman 5 25.00%
Philosophy of Physics: Space and Time by Tim Maudlin 3 15.00%
The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku 8 40.00%
A Crack in the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester 7 35.00%
The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart 3 15.00%
Death from the Skies: The Science behind the End of the World by Phil Plait 5 25.00%
Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal 7 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't recall when it was, but for the book club, we did read a book by Simon Winchester. The description didn't make the book sound all that interesting. It was about the making of the Oxford Dictionary and it did turn out to be very well written and very interesting.

I voted for A Crack in the Edge of the World because of Simon Winchester.
March 2009 - Nonfiction - Professor and the Mad Man by Simon Winchester

It does sound interesting but I didn't vote for it because it sounds more like history than science and also because it is over 500 pages long.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

It does sound interesting but I didn't vote for it because it sounds more like history than science and also because it is over 500 pages long.
>500 pages and more $$ than I'd like to spend this month. But probably a good book. Just not on my radar right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It wasn't really science. It was history. But, it was very well written. The book under consideration does have both history and science in it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It wasn't really science. It was history. But, it was very well written. The book under consideration does have both history and science in it.
To clarify, the current book sounds more like history than science to me. Yes, it does say there is some but that isn't the focus of it, so not a science book in my view. And still too long.

Just over 12 hours left in voting, please do so if you are inclined! Right now it is a 3 way tie with 4 more choices only 2 back, so anything could win at this point.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 3-way tie is currently broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
To clarify, the current book sounds more like history than science to me. Yes, it does say there is some but that isn't the focus of it, so not a science book in my view. And still too long....
Crack in the World is long. Very long. At just over half a thousand pages, it's the longest book of the bunch. And it's about something that happened over a hundred years ago. If we ever have a history month, I'm nominating something by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thing has been back and forth, and last night when I retired the scoreboard showed a three way tie, but it's a different day, and The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku is our winner. The Future of the Mind would like to congratulate each of its fellow contestants for a race well run and wishes them all the best going forward.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

If anyone hasn't started the book yet, here's a brief video of the author explaining one of the aspects of string field theory, of which he is a co-founder. String theory, of which string field theory is an offshoot, has had its ups and downs since it was first introduced, and even today remains controversial and unproven, but it's fascinating as all get-out to contemplate.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I was able to get this at the library, without a wait. I'm still not sure I'll have time to read it (work and life) but I'll at least try.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd vote for Longitude too. Alas I missed the actual voting. It is a great story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, it is. I recommend it to folks, even though it didn't make the cut this time.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm amazed that three of the selections would fit if the category was history. I'm more interested in today's cutting edge science.
I agree. None of these books interest me. I am currently reading:

Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness
https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Enigm.../dp/019517559X

Alone in the Universe: Why Our Planet Is Unique
https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Univers...iverse+gribbin
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I agree. None of these books interest me. I am currently reading:

Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Enigm.../dp/019517559X

Alone in the Universe: Why Our Planet Is Unique

https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Univers...iverse+gribbin

The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku has much to say on the physics of consciousness and the current state of our understanding of consciousness, all from the viewpoint of one of the co-founders of String Field Theory. It's a very good overview. Folks like me who subscribe to both Scientific American and the British publication New Scientist won't be finding anything they haven't encountered elsewhere, but others, I suspect, will be awed to discover what neuroscientists are discovering and the amazing practical applications resulting from their research.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.