Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
MobileRead forum is requesting authentication upon entering any forum

When entering any forum, the site pops up an authentication request dialog.

Is one of the images used in the forums located inside a protected folder, or lost the rights to be viewed, or something?

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I see the same thing.

we've been highjacked and someone is phishing for passwords
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I just started getting this too. Looked at a couple of forums with no issue, but it's now popping up on every forum. Probably an issue with an ad or something?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems fixed
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
There is more information forthcoming. An announcement is being prepared, and those of you who experienced this (everyone above and several others) will soon get a PM.

In the meantime, it would be a good idea to change your MobileRead password.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Sounds bad. Thanks for the suggestion; password was changed.

Ah, well. That's why one should use different, 50 characters long passwords for every site and store them using something such as Keepass.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The good news is that it was contained so quickly. Still, as a precaution, it's a good idea to change the password as you did, kat.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Malware on the server, or in an advertisement? Wouldn't be the first it happened to a big site. The very best protection is to have a different password for each site you have an account at. If one account is possibly compromised, other accounts stay safe.

I look forward to the announcement to learn what was amiss.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

PMs have been sent to all affected users.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
HI guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Please the announcement over here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235011

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
That was not nice of that person.

Password changed - that person owes me a banana for the trouble I went through
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Sounds bad. Thanks for the suggestion; password was changed.

Ah, well. That's why one should use different, 50 characters long passwords for every site and store them using something such as Keepass.
Wow, 50 characters?

I just use 15 on average -- some of them I want to remember!

And Lastpass of course.

Good job mods on containing it so quickly!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Wow, 50 characters?
Why not? They're all in Keepass. If a site does not accept them, I shorten them to 25 or 15 characters if need be.

Quote:
I just use 15 on average -- some of them I want to remember!
The ones I need to remember are constructed using an algorithm only I know, which makes each of them different, but even if I forget, I can derive the password from several clues (which, for example, includes the site's name) and some personal details only I know.

I carry KeepassDroid on my phone, but even if the database AND the key file are stolen (which are both on the phone), the master password is still unknown.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I need to look into this Keepass....I'm still using a little 16-bit program I got when I was running Windows 3.1. Probably not all that safe these days...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And Lastpass of course.
Like Lastpass a lot. Works on all my OS's (Windows, iPhone, Linux and Android). Even ended up get the paid version. As much as I use it, I should support it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote