Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
curiouscat
Enthusiast
curiouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Oasis
Question Software to read PDF's? (PRS-t2)

Hi guys,

is there any conversion software that will convert pdfs for easy reading on the prs-t2?

I already use calibre but I find that the pdf to epub conversion is horrible and often misses lines out.

I have tried:

- the above calibre method
- k2pdf, works perfectly but takes ages and file size is huge which makes pages lag
- cut2col, works but font size on random pages is tiny

The best method I have found at the moment is to have adobe reader convert to text and read them that way but tables and images are lost. Trying to convert the text file back to epub or pdf in calibre results in words/lines being missed again.

Putting the original pdf onto the t2 seems the best, layout is correct but font is tiny, increasing it means the spaces between words disappear! I am a student and I have a lot of PDF's that I would like to read on there instead of my bulky textbooks.

I read about a programme called sopdf but can't seem to get it to work. I have windows 7 32bit starter.

---Found the different page views and crop features but this doesn't make it anymore readable as most are single columns.

Please help. I'm close to buying a kindle and using software called autokindleconverter. Screen shots look amazing but I don't want to sacrifice the functionality of my sony, not to mention the money if a programme for sony can be found or a workaround.

curiouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
PDF's will never work well on an eink ereader they just aren't designed for small screens can't be converted with any accuracy because a lot of the text is actually images that conversion software just won't pick up.

PDF's pretty much suck for anything but printing but you would have better luck with a laptop or tablet just because you can zoom in and out much faster and they have enough ram to cope with the big files trying to do that on any slow refresh eink screen is going to be frustrating at best.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
curiouscat, get a trial version of Adobe Acrobat Standard (not reader).
Open up the PDF, then save it to HTML (File, Save As, More Options, HTML Web Page).
Zip up the files that were outputted and import the Zip file into Calibre.
In Calibre, convert to ePub.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Take a look at k2pdfopt (if it's different from the k2pdf that you mention). There's a thread for it in the PDF section of this forum.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I think Calibre should do an okay job of converting if the original pdf text is correctly formatted inside the pdf. If not, it doesn't matter what convertor program you use, it will come out with superfluous carriage returns and other formatting problems. In which case, you'll have to use a search and replace tool (see regex) to reformat the problems.

Alternatively, you could read the pdf in its native format. If your T2 is rooted, you could use Orion Viewer which is an pdf-reader app for e-ink. Also you can pre-process the pdf using Briss to crop and split dual columns etc. I find it works well on a rooted Nook ST.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
curiouscat
Enthusiast
curiouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to beholdcuriouscat is a marvel to behold

Hi guys, thank you all for posting. My notifications aren't working and just came across this again.

Rkomar, same program, bad spelling. The pages lag or cause the reader to freeze.

Dhume01, will give it a go.

Rizlar, tried briss, same problem as cut2col, can't work out why font sizes revert :-( Is root now stable for t2?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
Hi guys, thank you all for posting. My notifications aren't working and just came across this again.

Rkomar, same program, bad spelling. The pages lag or cause the reader to freeze.

Dhume01, will give it a go.

Rizlar, tried briss, same problem as cut2col, can't work out why font sizes revert :-( Is root now stable for t2?
I use k2pdfopt all the time for my Sony T1 and other 6" readers in my vicinity.

I don't think that file size should matter that much for page lagging, but if it does in your case, you can divide pdf transforming just a part of your pdf with k2pdfopt.

I've usually encountered lagging with pdf's from archive.org or those produced with new Abbyy Finereader 11 or old Abby Finereaders (in mixed mode only), because of their compression method, so native mode was not the way to go with k2pdfopt but default mode for landscape, with or without reflow, depending whether it was A5 or A4 pdf.

It is hard to say what else you should try without the sample of your pdf.

You can describe your problem on k2pdfopt thread too, its author was always ready to help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

Last edited by markom; 12-15-2013 at 09:04 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I wouldnt bother rooting a t2 though I think its stable. Nook st is much better.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
curiouscat
Enthusiast

Thanks Markom. My t2 is freezing more constantly now so I think it's that rather than the program.

Rizla, been looking at the nook, isn't the screen rather poor in comparison and how is it unrooted? Only really considering rooting as a last resort for something that isn't working properly. Just want something that doesn't lag.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
PDF's will never work well on an eink ereader they just aren't designed for small screens can't be converted with any accuracy because a lot of the text is actually images that conversion software just won't pick up.

PDF's pretty much suck for anything but printing but you would have better luck with a laptop or tablet just because you can zoom in and out much faster and they have enough ram to cope with the big files trying to do that on any slow refresh eink screen is going to be frustrating at best.
This isn't really true.

The pdf standard allows for all sorts of output sizes. It doesn't limit pdfs to A4/letter or even standard paper sizes.

As long as the pdf is appropriately formatted for the device, there should be little need to zoom in and out. I read 1,000p pdfs on my t2 with no problems. I don't have problems because the pdfs are formatted in a good page & font size for the t2 (often a5 sized). I'm not zooming in and out, just flipping through the pages.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
curiouscat
Enthusiast

Thanks. Curious what you use to format pdfs with? My t2 was freezing a lot so replaced it with a nook. Doesn't lag at all like my t2 did.

Tags
conversion software, font size, pdf, prs-t2