Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
alexreg
alexreg began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Output to look like iBooks

I'm trying to convert an EPUB book to PDF using settings as close as possible to how iBooks renders books. The EPUB is specifically made to be viewed in iBooks, but the default settings on Calibre produce a horribly mangled version (with overlapping text, missing text, bad layout) apart from other more minor aesthetic issues (like fonts and page margins). Just viewing the EPUB in Calibre removes the former problems, but not the latter, and in any case I want the book as a PDF in a readable and aesthetically pleasing format. Is there any way I can tell Calibre to render like iBooks, in order to get this?
alexreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe this can be of some assistance, although its primarily about converting from PDF rather than to PDF https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

PDF is a PITA format - you could try converting the ePUB to RTF, then reading that into MS Word or OOo Writer and creating the PDF from there. That's worked for me a couple of times when I need to create a PDF from an ePub. I had to 'massage' the RTF a bit and create a DOC(X) or ODT before I created the PDF in Word or Writer. I was targeting vanilla Adobe Acrobat - not sure if it will work with Apple iBooks - maybe Apple knows.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
alexreg
alexreg began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe this can be of some assistance, although its primarily about converting from PDF rather than to PDF https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

PDF is a PITA format - you could try converting the ePUB to RTF, then reading that into MS Word or OOo Writer and creating the PDF from there. That's worked for me a couple of times when I need to create a PDF from an ePub. I had to 'massage' the RTF a bit and create a DOC(X) or ODT before I created the PDF in Word or Writer. I was targeting vanilla Adobe Acrobat - not sure if it will work with Apple iBooks - maybe Apple knows.

BR
Thanks for the suggestions! Will give them a go and report back.
alexreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibooks, pdf