Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Valatar
Valatar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
eReader with a non-terrible book sorting?

My nook touch abuses me. I loved it, but it punishes me for putting books on it and then having the temerity to want to actually find and read the books.

"Oh nook," I will say, "please sort by author so that I may locate the collected works of Mark Twain. And could you please give me a list of only author names so that I may scroll quickly to the Ts?"
"Up yours," it will snap in reply, "I'm going to make you scroll through two dozen pages of books."

What I want when I sort by author:

Author A
Author B
Author C

What I get when I sort by author:

Author A Book 1
Author A Book 2
Author A Book 3
----three pages later----
Author A Book 20
Author B Book 1
Author B Book 2

And apparently the kindles are just as bad. Given that I don't want to be spending hours of my life setting up and organizing shelves in my eReader just so I can get it to properly display the books in it, I must inquire whether there is either a fix out for the nook touch or kindle paperwhite to give them better book indices, or a competing device with similar hardware that does it correctly right out of the box.
Valatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle isn't bad at all. You can go straight to authors starting with "T", or, indeed, straight to "Twain".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
On the Nook Touch you can type the author's name in Search to get a list of their books.

Or if you don't know which author you want and just want to scroll quicker through them use Calibre to load your books on the Nook. Then in the "My Files" section under My Files-> Books - there will be folders alphabetically listed by Author last name.

Last edited by pwnn; 12-09-2012 at 01:09 AM.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
gurion
gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2o
Sony readers can do what you want.
Just checked - my PRS-350 does.
gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnn View Post
On the Nook Touch you can type the author's name in Search to get a list of their books.

Or if you don't know which author you want and just want to scroll quicker through them use Calibre to load your books on the Nook. Then in the "My Files" section under My Files-> Books - there will be folders alphabetically listed by Author last name.
Well that depends how you define your send to device template the one you are describing is the default template personally I use this for my nook touch

Code:
{tags:re([\.],/!)|!|}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series:subitems(0,1)||/}{series_index:0>5.2f| | - }{series:subitems(1,10)| | - }{title}
As I have set my tags as genre with sub genres and series with sub series I get something like

Code:
!Fantasy\!Urban\J\Jim Butcher\Dresden\01. Storm Front.epub
!Fantasy\D\David Eddings\Orb\01.00 - The Belgariad - Pawn of Prophecy.epub
Although to be truthful I don't use nook touch built in reader but have rooted it and am using coolreader so unlike the My Files I even see the covers for the books.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote