Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #46
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
Ok, management then - no difference in the end for us.
There's a big difference. The developers are the ones who fix the bugs and decide upon most of the features that go into the product. You should be grateful for that. Unfortunately, they won't have much say when management makes decrees about their business model (which is likely selling books and maybe selling marketing data).
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
TThe developers decide upon most of the features that go into the product.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #48
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think if you add a book to the shortlist it creates a new shelf for you called Shortlist
Not for me - but that might be one of the problems because of the plugin...

Is there a way to disable hyphenation? Though it's cool that it's there, I'd rather not have it. Something like "clin-ical" or "famil-iar" is a bit difficult for me to read.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #49
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Not for me - but that might be one of the problems because of the plugin...
Might want to factory reset (much as I hate to tell you that). I just added a couple of books to shortlist (didn't have any there previously) and it created a Shortlist shelf. Actually, you could just try signing out and back into your account under settings as that seems to have helped someone else in the thread.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #50
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jaden, the hyphenation seems a lot less problematic if you have a ragged right (not justified) setting. Also, some font sizes seem to end up with more hyphenation than others. Play around a bit. I know that at one point, i had something set that ended up with almost every line having a hyphen--and gosh, some of the places the words were broken were amaaaaazing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #51
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I think I'm using a different definition of developers from most people.

I'm talking about anyone who is responsible for the design and implementation of the product on a day to day basis. I am not including the people who are responsible for the operation of the company, and am not limiting myself to the people who write the code.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #52
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Might want to factory reset (much as I hate to tell you that). I just added a couple of books to shortlist (didn't have any there previously) and it created a Shortlist shelf. Actually, you could just try signing out and back into your account under settings as that seems to have helped someone else in the thread.
If there has to be a factory reset, it can't be helped.

I'll try to sign out first, though. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jaden, the hyphenation seems a lot less problematic if you have a ragged right (not justified) setting. Also, some font sizes seem to end up with more hyphenation than others. Play around a bit. I know that at one point, i had something set that ended up with almost every line having a hyphen--and gosh, some of the places the words were broken were amaaaaazing.
I don't like justified - and at first I didn't realize there was hyphenation going on. When I first saw it, I thought it was a problem in the ePub, that someone didn't edit the hyphenation out.

I'm going to play around a bit - though I hope that there will be an option to switch of hyphenation. Would make it much easier for me to read my book, especially if the places the words are broken are kind of weird.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #53
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Update - I plugged in my Kobo to see if the sideloaded books were still there and they were. Disconnecting the device (I was going to try rebooting it) triggered a "processing new content" message and all my sideloaded books were visible again. I'm very glad I chose to sign out - saved me a lot of work!

I'm just sharing this here in case others have the same issue.
Have the same problem that you did before. Does your Kobo remember what page you were on for those reloaded sidebooks?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #54
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a terrible update; the battery icon is on the wrong side and upside down. I am sure it is going to cause all the charge to fall out of the battery leaving me with a dead KT that won't hold a charge.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Hmm, the update is failing for me... I just made a factory reset before to avoid possible problems. Now, when the Kobo Desktop trys to update the firmware, the usb connection suddenly drops and Kobo Desktop is complaining about the device being full (device information shows 1309mb free space before and after, btw).
Does anyone have an idea, what to do about this? :/
I already tried a different usb port, but that didn't change anything.
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #56
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Spheres, if all else fails, try this.

Uninstall the desktop application. Install it again from kobobooks.com/apps. You will at some point in the process be offered the 3.0 desktop. Take it.

After all your books are on the new desktop, do a factory reset of your Touch. Leave the new desktop open. Wait through the whole process. Follow the directions on your Kobo for starting the device up. Plug in via USB (remember the desktop is still open). Do the waiting game as the update to your Touch loads onto the device and the books transfer.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a less labour intensive solution. It may just be that the drivers for the Touch failed to load.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #57
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheres View Post
Hmm, the update is failing for me... I just made a factory reset before to avoid possible problems. Now, when the Kobo Desktop trys to update the firmware, the usb connection suddenly drops and Kobo Desktop is complaining about the device being full (device information shows 1309mb free space before and after, btw).
Does anyone have an idea, what to do about this? :/
I already tried a different usb port, but that didn't change anything.
I assume you're on the new desktop (v3.0 I think)?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #58
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Terrible fail...

I'm already regretting this update - Polish diacritics are missing in most fonts and despite of all "advanced" tweaking remain too thin, some books fail to open, useless and cluttering "discover" and " wishlist", no shortlist and there's no watch icon!?

(Yes, I did a factory reset.)
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #59
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorchan View Post
It appears to work as it should with kepubs, but with none of my epubs. Here is a comparison between epub
and kepub.
I'm not sure, but it seems like italicized font displays too thin, while normal one looks OK...
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #60
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

@taming: Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately, I get the same error this way.
@robko: That's right, I used v3.0.

Isn’t Kobo Desktop just copying over the file to the KT and the actual firmware update is taking place when the KT reboots? I don’t get what could go wrong when copying files... hopefully, it’s just a problem with the desktop software and not with the device itself. Until now, I never had any problems like failing usb connections.
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote