Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
andrewatlanta
andrewatlanta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle page-turning

I just got a Kindle 3 today. I am very disappointed in its performance when "turning" pages. The screen goes black with white type between pages. Is this normal or a glitch? This is not the level of performance I was expecting. I suppose if it is as far as they have come technologically, I am stuck with it, If it is a glitch, I will return the thing.
andrewatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewatlanta View Post
I just got a Kindle 3 today. I am very disappointed in its performance when "turning" pages. The screen goes black with white type between pages. Is this normal or a glitch? This is not the level of performance I was expecting. I suppose if it is as far as they have come technologically, I am stuck with it, If it is a glitch, I will return the thing.
Thats normal for an eInk display. They all do that.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you're that unhappy then return it. But, as Tiersten says, all e-ink does that. Personally, after a little while it stopped bothering me at all. It doesn't break the flow of reading any more than a page turn with a paper book.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, andrewatlanta.

I don't even notice the page turning.....its like turn a paper book page......gives your eyes a chance to refocus.

However, as mentioned, if you really can't deal with it, luckily Amazon has a 30 day return policy.

How long have you been reading with it? Give it at least a few days and see if your eyes don't adjust.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just blink when you click. ; )
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
simonz
simonz began at the beginning.

If your K3 is running 3.0 version of software, you may need to upgrade the Kindle software to 3.0.1. When I got my K3, the page turns were very slow, but after I updated 3.0.1, it made a huge difference in page turns. There still is black between page turns, but only for a split second.
simonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The black is how the e-ink refreshes. You'll get used to it, honest.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewatlanta View Post
I had a K1, which was slower, and it took me about 4-5 days to get used to the black page turns. Now I don't notice them, especially on the k3.
I agree -- give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it. It even took me a few days to get used to the K3. There are lots of free books you can try out with it. If you don't like it after that, perhaps e-ink devices are not for you.

Happy reading!

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I dunno about the firmware upgrade (I've read that it actually makes it slower). But it definitely is slower and more noticeable when you add a book to it and it's still indexing it.

Why the screen refresh is linked to the CPU load is beyond me, but...when you just get a K3 and put a bunch of books on it's slower than it will end up being once it's finishing indexing them. Though it still always does it, it gets to be pretty quick.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
TerriGtoo
TerriGtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Split second black when page turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If you're that unhappy then return it. But, as Tiersten says, all e-ink does that. Personally, after a little while it stopped bothering me at all. It doesn't break the flow of reading any more than a page turn with a paper book.
Hi all, I'm new here and I know this strring is a bit old, but I just pruchased a Kindle 3G and I loved it...for the first 4 hours.

There was NO black between page turns, now there is.

If this really is supposed to be normal with the black, why did I get pure white page after page turn for 4 hours and then it went to black ??

Any explanations??
Thanks!
TerriGtoo
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriGtoo View Post
If this really is supposed to be normal with the black, why did I get pure white page after page turn for 4 hours and then it went to black ??

Any explanations??
Thanks!
TerriGtoo
You may have not noticed it. But also, some newer device, starting with the Nook STR, IIRC, only do the anti-ghosting wipe every so often (something like every 6 pages or so I think). Older devices did it every page.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
You'll get used to it, honest.
Agreed. When I got my first Kindle in January 2010, the page turns were distracting at first. But after using the Kindle a few times I really didn't notice it anymore.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3