Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
WH Smith - geo-restrictions circumvented

The new WH Smith e-book store is part of the regular WH Smith website.
It seems like the new store is completely seperate from the old one. I had to register a new account.
I was hoping that geo-restrictions at the new store would be less severe than those at the old one.

There are no geo-restictons mentioned in the e-book information. I first registered my account with my Dutch address and bought some books that are UK only in the old store. I could not proceed to the payment page without supplying a UK address.
Than I registered my account with a UK address. Bought the same books again. Now I could proceed to the payment page. I used the UK address with my Dutch credit card. Payment accepted. Received order confirmation by e-mail.
After waiting a few minutes the download button was available for the books in my account. Downloading went without a problem.

So for the moment it seems using a UK address registering your account and as billing address for your credit card is enough to circumvent geo-restrictions.
There seems to be no IP-address check, and no verification of the credit card billing address.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Link?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Link?
www.whsmith.co.uk
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
answer already given. "please" would have been nice though...

Last edited by aceflor; 09-11-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Saw that geertm was gracious enough.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I was hoping that geo-restrictions at the new store would be less severe than those at the old one.
Just to be completely accurate, it's not the store that imposes the restrictions; it's the publisher.

The fact that you could circumvent the restrictions points to inefficiency or incompetence on the part of Smiths in enforcing the restrictions - not any loosening of the restrictions. Take advantage of that while you can. They'll probably fix it once the publishers start to complain.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I wonder if Overdrive is still "powering" their ebook store.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
If Mike is right, they may "fix" the "problem".

You'll need someway to protect your purchases from future loss.

As we all know, when you buy a DRM ebook all you have is the right to read it. And even that right may be, and has in the past has been, taken away. Never mind that you're paying the same price as you would to actually buy a paper copy.

Some of the books that I've wanted from the UK are now legally available here in the US. I truly hope things may improve in Europe and the rest of the world.

Good luck and best wishes.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Just to be completely accurate, it's not the store that imposes the restrictions; it's the publisher.

The fact that you could circumvent the restrictions points to inefficiency or incompetence on the part of Smiths in enforcing the restrictions - not any loosening of the restrictions. Take advantage of that while you can. They'll probably fix it once the publishers start to complain.
I know the publisher imposes the restrictions.
The restrictions of the old store could not be circumvented because the credit card billing address was verified.
I justed wanted to let people know that for the moment (because of the new store) it is possible to circumvent the restrictions.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
answer already given. "please" would have been nice though...
It wasn't and it would. I was on my way out however so in too much of a hurry. From the OP I got the impression that a new store implied a new URL.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Took a quick scan through their site and the prices seem to have increased. I thought they had matched Amazon's prices more closely.

Also, dont see any mention of Overdrive. That may account for the changes.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Took a quick scan through their site and the prices seem to have increased. I thought they had matched Amazon's prices more closely.
They recently had a half-price sale. That's now ended, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote