Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
mlevin77
Enthusiast
mlevin77 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
what are conflicted copy .db and .json files?

In my main library folder, alongside all of the folders of authors, I see some files called "metadata ... conflicted copy.db" and "metadata_db_prefs_backup...json" and Library Maintenance -> Check Library complains about them. Where do these files come from - should I delete them?
mlevin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They come from whatever software you are using to sync your calibre library, probably dropbox. do not run dropbox at the same time as calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is worth mentioning that if you have the Conflicted Copy type files it means that the syncing software (DropBox?) did not know which was the most up-to-date version of the file. This can result in lost updates (and thus books) from your library if Dropbox has chosen the wrong one to use.

A typical cause of such an issue is running calibre on two different machines simultaneously. Calibre is a single user system and does not support such operation. It can also happen if Calibre was run at different times on two different machines and the DropBox sync process was not allowed to complete after exiting Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
mlevin77
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
They come from whatever software you are using to sync your calibre library, probably dropbox. do not run dropbox at the same time as calibre
aha! I will pursue with Dropbox people but can you tell me: assuming I NEVER access Calibre (or that folder) from more than one location at one time, why is it a bad idea to have the Calibre database folder on a Dropbox location? I am the only one who uses this folder. I have it on Dropbox so that I can access books from an Apple machine at work and an Apple machine at home. Therefore there's no potential for simultaneous editing of the folder (I can only run Calibre from one of those locations at a time). Can someone explain why this is problematic, and is there a better way to be able to access the library from 2 different machines?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
mlevin77
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It can also happen if Calibre was run at different times on two different machines and the DropBox sync process was not allowed to complete after exiting Calibre.
ok so let me get this clear. The important thing is to make sure that Dropbox fully syncs when - after exiting Calibre and before re-starting it?
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
aha! I will pursue with Dropbox people but can you tell me: assuming I NEVER access Calibre (or that folder) from more than one location at one time, why is it a bad idea to have the Calibre database folder on a Dropbox location? I am the only one who uses this folder. I have it on Dropbox so that I can access books from an Apple machine at work and an Apple machine at home. Therefore there's no potential for simultaneous editing of the folder (I can only run Calibre from one of those locations at a time). Can someone explain why this is problematic, and is there a better way to be able to access the library from 2 different machines?
The problem with sync software is that it can temporarily lock a file, and if during that period Calibre tries to rename or delete a file/folder you can end up with orphan folders in the library filestore. As long as you do not mind this then as long as you always finish a sync after exiting Calibre you should be OK.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
mlevin77
Enthusiast

Quote:
as long as you always finish a sync after exiting Calibre you should be OK.
so, after Exiting Calibre, I need to make sure Dropbox finishes sync before re-starting Calibre again - is that it?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
so, after Exiting Calibre, I need to make sure Dropbox finishes sync before re-starting Calibre again - is that it?
You could safely restart Calibre on the same machine again. What you must not do is start Calibre on another machine until DropBox servers has finished syncing up to DropBox from the first machine, and back down to the second machine as that would result in conflicated copies of files.

Most of the time this is painless as long as you have an active internet link on the machines as the syncing happens very quickly. It can be an issue if for any reason the machines do not have an active internet link so that immediate syncing does not happen.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
mlevin77
Enthusiast

Quote:
What you must not do is start Calibre on another machine until DropBox servers has finished syncing up to DropBox from the first machine, and back down to the second machine as that would result in conflicated copies of files.
got it, that's very useful, thanks all.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also advisable to pause Dropbox while running calibre, to prevent Dropbox locking a file to sync it while calibre is trying to move/edit it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote