Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Tablet Capable of Running Calibre and Be an E-Reader?

Has anyone found a tablet that's capable of running the full Calibre program but still be small and light enough to use as an e-reader? Calibre only runs on Windows, Linux and MacOS and I don't want Apple. But, Windows or Linux is fine. The problem is that a tablet bigger than 8" is probably unwieldy as an e-reader, but 8" tablets tend to be Android. And, even at 8", they all seem to weigh about twice what a dedicated, e-ink e-reader weighs (with worse resolution and pixel density).
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I gave away two MS Windows tablets because either it's in Desktop mode and needs keyboard + mouse, or in Tablet mode, in which case desktop programs are crippled.

Also 10" is too small for Content creation or Calibre.

I use an 8″ Sage as an ereader. I used to use a 15.5" 1600x1200 4:3 Laptop with XP, and changed to 15" 1920x1080 laptop with Linux five years ago. I still use it if I'm "out somewhere" otherwise I use 23" 4K screen on a small desktop with both SDD and HDD and a UPS.

I have a nice 12″ Lenovo X201 convertible laptop (to tablet) which has touch and Wacom digitiser pen. The screen is too small for Calibre and awkward for LO Writer. I think 15″ is minimum size screen for Windows, mac or Linux, at HD or better (Retina on 15″ or less is simply like having HD and turned off sub-pixel addressing/cleartype).

I've been using eInk since about 2013 and would not either go back to reading ebooks on LCD/OLED (though the 23″ 4K HDR screen is best I ever had and good for PDFs) or proofing on paper.

It's so fast and simple even to make an ebook with Calibre from LO Writer (with extra docx save) that I'd read larger web articles as epub2.

The Sage also is fastest yet to Send ebook to.

I think the best solution is a decent laptop (or PC with UPS if you don't go anywhere), 8″ Kobo Sage and maybe a 10" Android tablet for occasional use.

Last time I took laptop to daughter's house I took the 23" screen and the TKL Cherry keyboard too! (No numeric pad). I kept the screen box.

And I was never tempted to have an Osborne or similar back in the day.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm currently running into some battery issues with my Forma and decided to look around for alternatives. Off hand, the Sage would be the logical replacement. But, if I were going to buy yet another ereader, I thought I'd see if something more versatile existed. As you noted, the conflict between "too big for an ereader" and "too small for production" doesn't seem resolvable.

Also, the lighter, newer tablets seem to be trending towards Android now, and the thought of adding Google into the mix of spying on me even more doesn't fill me with glee.

Oh, well.

But, thanks for the reply.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've had maybe 9 makes of dedicated ereader, and three models that were LCD (really). iRiver Story Cover, Binatone, Amazon, Kobo, Sony (2), Nook, reMarkable, Boyue and yiben Y-Ben P47L.

I've used maybe 8 models of Kindle (some borrowed and I still have 3).
I've used or owned maybe 7 models of Kobo. Bought 3 Sages as presents for others.
I have an Elipsa and because of it bought the Sage for ereader and note taking. The 7.8″ boyue Mars* isn't bad as an ereader with Android, but Sage or Libra (or Libra 2) are all far far better for epub.

I have the Libra and Libra 2 (both far than 32G 3G/4G Kindle Oasis I gave away). But I think even if you don't buy the Pen and use the Sage only for ereader, it's the best dedicated reader ever. Very fast and the current crop feature makes it good for PDFs. I've used Kobo pen and an almost identical 3rd party pen for MS Surface. Still on first AAAA cell on Sage and Elipsa.

[* Now sold as Meebook P78, plus it does run Kindle, Kobo, Bolinda Borrowbox, Google PlayBooks & KOReader, cons: no page buttons and no decent library like Kobo/Kindle and pig slow with Calibre (because it's USB MTP). You can disable entire Google with one click. Runs K9 email, LiChess and audio (3.5mm jack or BT), but unless you need Bolinda for Irish Libraries, Android is pointless for an ereader]

I've replaced the cell (AKA battery) in a DXG, 2x KK3, a Kobo H2O and several phones. Can battery be replaced in the Forma?

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Battery
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have the MS Surface Go 2 & have it running Calibre; still lighter than a printed book. No problems with Calibre & being used as an ereader; have install freda+ as the ereader app. OS is windows 11 pro but cpu is not eligible to run the android subsystem.

Loaded Calibre onto the Go 2 via the windows free robocopy which was set to use 3 threads to copy the desktop Calibre Library onto the tablet (I have only 980+) books. Surface Go 2 has a 10.5 in display.

Check www.tabletmonkeys.com for other windows tablets in the 10+ display range. Am being tempted to see which ones can run the android subsystem. And my desktop has the WSA installed & now using moon+reader pro as the reader app on the desktop; WSA is now using android 13.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:38 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use calibre on a Surface Go LTE. It has a small library of books I'm currently reading or editing and a handful of reference texts. Apart from the basic book list features, the only tools I use on the GO are View and via it, the Built in Open With.

I got the GO to get away from smartphones. My cell-phone, which I carry very occasionally is the dumbest phone I could find (voice and SMS only), 99% of the time it sits on my desk. The only people that have my GO's phone number are my ex, my lawyer, and my disability carer.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-09-2023 at 06:42 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote