Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Question umm Calibre -- which number should I use?

I guess I missed the boat.

I downloaded Calibre 7.2 when I got my Sony (about three weeks ago).

Three days ago I downloaded 7.4. Yesterday I downloaded 7.5

Now, I see something about another one, and another one on the way? I must have missed six somewhere.

So, I have around 30 books I saved to desktop to download. Do I wait for the 7.8 to come out (when will that be) or just go ahead and download the books.
Is there a bug (not the virus type) in the 7.5 that got lose and needs to be caught or what.

I gather that the guy who created Calibre is a complete total GENIUS, but everyone has an off day or two. So, I am assuming (and probably making an ass out of myself) that is what is going on.

Anyhow, do I download my books or just wait a couple of days?

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLYates View Post
I guess I missed the boat.

Now, I see something about another one, and another one on the way? I must have missed six somewhere.

So, I have around 30 books I saved to desktop to download. Do I wait for the 7.8 to come out (when will that be) or just go ahead and download the books.
Is there a bug (not the virus type) in the 7.5 that got lose and needs to be caught or what.

I gather that the guy who created Calibre is a complete total GENIUS, but everyone has an off day or two. So, I am assuming (and probably making an ass out of myself) that is what is going on.

Anyhow, do I download my books or just wait a couple of days?

Janette
Your library remains intact through program Upgrades.
So go ahead and start working on your library.

Read the changelog notes.
Some changes fix bugs. Some add improvemnts or support for newer devices.
Not all changes may affect you, therefore need not be done.
(No xyz reader?, don't use format stu?... Not needed). OTOH, if you have issues with your rig, and a Bug Fix, gets done, you might consider doing the upgrade

You can upgrade as desired . The Library remains intact.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre is a program in active development (note the 0.x numbering). There is generally a new public build released every week. Some of them add major features and some fix minor bugs; check the changelog to see what any given update does. Every so often, a significant bug does get in; if so, there will be bugfix releases outside the normal schedule.

I've been using calibre a bit over 4 months, since 0.6.41. The number of features that have been added in that time is just amazing. So, grab the latest version, install same, and keep on keepin' on. You'll get used to doing this on a weekly basis.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your current install of calibre does everything you want, don't upgrade. Keep an eye on the changelog, if you see something you really want or a bug fix that affects you, upgrade.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I think v7.5 is not a good version to use if you are importing new books in html format. I believe v7.6 has fixed the html import bug.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Thanks everyone,

Umm, as to html, I don't think so. Technical computer jargon is Greek to me. Talk psychology and I can follow you, but this stuff I am lost in.

Main goal is to download books; classicals and others from various genres. Also to download pdfs from professional articles for classwork. So, I don't know if anything will be html or not.
Looks like I need to do some more research. Looks like by the time I figure it all out, I will be able to pass computer class 101.
Anyhows, thanks for the help.

Janette

just remembered, I did yesterday go to the calibre site and read a lot of "stuff". Copied it to a word doc so I could read it and learn to understand it better. Will keep checking the site (it is bookmarked) to keep up to date.

Thanks again

Last edited by JLYates; 06-28-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding more and grammer
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

Everyone keeps talking about the change log. Here's the link check it out.

Calibre has a history of being updated about once every 8 days but this last change from 06.55 to 0.7.x was major and it has required swift adjustment in the features and bug fixes. So you dropped into Calibre in the middle of a small storm.

Hopefully with version 0.7.6 the changes on the Sony side will settle out and we can all go back to being blissfully ignorant about the complexities that go into making this work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote