Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Question about B&N iPhone app

I have the B&N app on my iPad and on my iPhone. I bought a book, it downloaded to my iPad just fine, and I've been reading it. Knowing I might have some dead time while I'm out today, I thought I'd download the same book to my iPhone so I could read some of it today. So I downloaded it to my iPhone, but when I try to open it, the app asks for an unlock code which is my CC number. I am concerned about entering that because I don't want to get charged for it again. Also, I'm not crazy about sending my CC number over wifi or 3G. I'm wondering why I have to "unlock" the book on my iPhone but not on my iPad? Also, will I be charged again for it? Anyone have any experience with this?
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you won't get charged again. the encryption key to the book is tied to your CC number. something that is pretty much guaranteed to be unique, and tied to you. unless you like giving your CC # out.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
steph_g
Book Lover

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the info. I still don't get why I don't have to do that on my iPad. And no I don't go around giving out my CC number. :-) But it kind of irritates me that I can't just sign in to my account to verify or unlock the book.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well, the easy answer is, you're more likely to give your login and password out to other family members. if they tie the book just to your account, well, then you'll be sharing it. adobe's adept DRM scheme allows them to tie it to your credit card number instead (more likely a hash of it) and you're less likely to give that out. funny though, you could key it into your family/friend's iphone once and be all set. as far as i know it doesn't ask for it after that initial time, it hasn't for me.

by the way, if your credit card number changes, you have to update it on the site, and then on your devices.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
adobe's adept DRM scheme allows them to tie it to your credit card number instead (more likely a hash of it) and you're less likely to give that out.
This is actually B&N's own eReader DRM mechanism; it's not Adobe. You won't be asked to enter the number again; the app stores the card number and, when you load a new book, will automatically try to decrypt it with the numbers you've already entered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

hmm. i thought i had read that adept has provisions for a custom key to be used for encryption and that b&n had made use of this and used your credit card number instead of going with adept's typical adobe user name for the adept service. but i could be misinformed.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's actually the other way around. This was the DRM mechanism for the "eReader" book format, which B&N acquired when they bought Fictionwise. B&N subsequently adopted this same DRM mechanism for their ePub books, and Adobe then added it as an additional DRM option for ADE. But nobody except B&N are currently using it and, the last that I heard, at any rate, B&N were still selling most, if not all, of their books in eReader format not ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
steph_g
Book Lover

I'm still puzzled over why I don't have to unlock on my iPad, though? Why is it different for iPhone and iPad apps?

Last edited by steph_g; 06-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
I'm still puzzled over why I don't have to unlocks on my iPad, though? Why is it different for iPhone and iPad apps?
That is pretty odd. The only think I can think of is that you authorized the iPad first from the website? And any subsequent device needs a separate authorization?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Nope, for whatever reason, the iPad app just doesn't seem to require you to enter your cc# on download, but the iPhone app does. I downloaded a book purchased on the Mac immediately to my laptop, then later to both the iPad and then the iPhone. Only the phone required the cc# to unlock the book.

Glitch? Feature? Who knows?
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote