Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Should be a simple question

Can an ipad show books that were not bought from apples' istore?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, you can put any epub or PDF into ibooks. For instance, if i download something from the MR lib, it asks what reader that i want to download it to. So i choose from ibooks or bluefire or whatever.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Great so I can get a borders gift card for my mom who has an ipad, borders sells epub and pdf.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Can an ipad show books that were not bought from apples' istore?
Let's reword this so it's actually in English.

Are there apps for the iPad that will display eBooks not bought with iBooks via the iBookstore?

The answer is yes. iBooks will display DRM free ePub (maybe). I say maybe because iBooks is funky and what may work in ADE may not work or may not work as expected.

There are other third party apps such as txtr and Bluefire that both use ADE.

There is the Kindle app, Stanza, Kobo app, B&N app, GoodReader (for PDF) and probably others. But the ones listed are the main apps.

Now, as to these apps, I suggest you download them all (except Stanza) even if you have no plans to use them. That is because there is a chance they may be pulled from the app store come June.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Here is a good rundown on how to get protected epubs into the BlueFire Reader.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...+Commentary%29
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Personally, I dislike B&N's DRM scheme (credit card number). You might be able to get a gift card from Amazon or Kobo or some other store.

If she is reading on an iPad, there is no reason to restrict yourself to ePub. Amazon has a good selection.

However, if Apple's new demands make the bookstores remove their apps altogether, you might have a problem. Certainly iBooks will remain, but their selection is limited. If you are computer-savvy enough to strip the DRM from Amazon or B&N books, etc., you could at least back up her books for future use with an app that she could still use on the iPad.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Personally, I dislike B&N's DRM scheme (credit card number). You might be able to get a gift card from Amazon or Kobo or some other store.
A common misconception is that the credit card number is stored in the book's file. This is actually a hash of part of your credit card number plus your name. Even if you somehow managed to reverse the hash, you would gather very little useful information from it as I believe only the first or last four digits are used.

Even if all the digits are used, the CC# is not visible to anyone who happens to have your book file.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, but I have a couple of old ebooks that I can no longer unlock because I don't know the credit card number that I bought them with. It was a long time ago.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
The books should still be available in your B&N account to re-download with your new CC# used for the hash.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard

It wasn't B&N, it was another store, many years ago, with the same type of DRM scheme. The problem ends up being that if you can't remember the CC number, and the store no longer exists, you can't remove the DRM, years later. I didn't know how way back then. That's why I don't like the use of a CC number.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Yes.

See other threads for details.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Certainly iBooks will remain, but their selection is limited.
Actually I read where iBooks now claims one million in their store. And they just contracted with Random House, so should be lots to choose from and looks like their prices are in the same ball park as Amazon or other Big Box store.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
Here is a good rundown on how to get protected epubs into the BlueFire Reader.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...+Commentary%29
Cool, thanks for the link!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It wasn't B&N, it was another store, many years ago, with the same type of DRM scheme. The problem ends up being that if you can't remember the CC number, and the store no longer exists, you can't remove the DRM, years later. I didn't know how way back then. That's why I don't like the use of a CC number.
There are other similar DRM problems. Like with Mobipocket's PID. The PID is tied to your computer and it's main hard drive. If you replace your computer with a new one and reinstall Mobipocket Reader, you get a different PID and all the old eBooks do not work and if you didn't keep a note of the old PID, you cannot strip the DRM or even read them. Even replacing your system drive and reinstalling Mobipocket Reader gives you a different PID.

The problem with DRM comes when you upgrade your computer. It's very esy to then lose access to your legally purchased eBooks.

Take ADE for example. Let's say you have moved to a different ISP and your previous email address is no longer accessible and you no longer remember the password for your ADE account. I don't think you can get back your account as you'd need access to the email address the account was registered to.

So really, it's not just a CC# problem. It's a DRM problem.

But if you know how to strip DRM, after you've bought the eBook(s), download and then strip the DRM and you won't have to worry in the future about the DRM getting in the way.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Certainly iBooks will remain, but their selection is limited.
Actually I read where iBooks now claims one million in their store. And they just contracted with Random House, so should be lots to choose from and looks like their prices are in the same ball park as Amazon or other Big Box store.
In creating the iBookstore, Apple put a clause in the contracts saying that nobody could undersell Apple. And Apple then allowed the publishers to set the price. So really, Apple was the company that brought us the agency model that doesn't work.