Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Will major content become mobile-only?

As we see content moving to cell phones and other mobile devices, the potential business benefits are going to grow. Unfortunately, we may see the day that mobile interest causes content is availble on mobile devices, but not regular channels such as television. Or even worse, we might see content only available on particular wireless networks. Oh wait, it's already happened!

According to Engadget Mobile, "... Sprint has exclusive wireless rights to the draft while Monday Night Football rights-holder ESPN is barred from streaming the broadcast to its Mobile ESPN subscribers..." Yikes! This reminds me of the first days of ESPN coverage of Sunday night football, and I couldn't see the games because I didn't have cable.

Imagine if sporting events show up only on particular wireless networks. Instead of getting they guys together for the latest pay-per-view television championship boxing event, you might be getting together with your cell phone screen propped up on a little table by the chips and dip, with everyone gathered around squinting at the screen!

Okay, so that's an exaggeration, and the best content is generally going to reach consumers more and more with the improvement of technology. But it is a fact that wireless providers will be looking for ways to distinguish their content from others, so if you are on the "wrong" network, then you might just miss out of a few things.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
A better question is when it is not matter what content is formatted for, only that we can get to it. As a website designer, I get into the mindset at times that content is dependent on the device, that is totally wrong and always degrades the quality of something because someone who should not be is excluded. I believe that the next revolution in content should not be that which is based on whether it goes mobile or not, but rather whether it can go anywhere or not. That is more important in terms of technology having the great benefit to the greatest amount of people IMO.

[I tend to be a bit passionate about accessiblity so please excuse if I deflated this convo already]
Advert