Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Haya
Haya began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus
Post ePub and number of page

Into epub i see little numbers.
These numbers are like page numbers, I think
But these numbers change using different readers.
This is a property of EPUB or the reader?
There is a setting because they are always the same for all readers?
Haya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haya View Post
Into epub i see little numbers.
These numbers are like page numbers, I think
If you are using Adobe Digital Editions (and it sounds like you are), then, yes, those are page numbers.

Quote:
But these numbers change using different readers.
Interesting. That is not supposed to be the case. The page numbers are supposed to be universal (e.g., page 200 of a book is the same on the Desktop, the Sony PRS-505, and the Astak Pocket Pro).

Quote:
This is a property of EPUB or the reader?
There is a setting because they are always the same for all readers?
If you are asking, "is there is a way to no display the page numbers?", then the answer is no.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
Haya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
If you are using Adobe Digital Editions (and it sounds like you are), then, yes, those are page numbers.

Interesting. That is not supposed to be the case. The page numbers are supposed to be universal (e.g., page 200 of a book is the same on the Desktop, the Sony PRS-505, and the Astak Pocket Pro).

If you are asking, "is there is a way to no display the page numbers?", then the answer is no.
In one epub i see different number
using my opus and the bebook of frend of mine.

If i use go to number XY i go in different point of epub.
So under opus cybook and bebook the numbers are different.

It is a different setting of reader?
May I force to have the same numbers ?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Something funny going at there. ADE page numbers should be consistent across all devices. They certainly are with the devices that I have!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Typically, these are not included in the ePub, and then they are imposed by the reading software. Some of them do them differently than others, hence what you're seeing.

It is also possible to put a "page-map" inside the ePub to force the numbers to appear at certain points, though strictly speaking this is supposed to be an Adobe-only extension, and it'll make your ePub fail an ePub check. It works though, although some reading software (calibre, Stanza) will ignore them.

You can read about it in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53195

LoganK is incorrect technically; you can get rid of these, but there are significant costs. See the thread.

Last edited by frabjous; 11-13-2009 at 08:29 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Haya

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Typically, these are not included in the ePub, and then they are imposed by the reading software. Some of them do them differently than others, hence what you're seeing.

It is also possible to put a "page-map" inside the ePub to force the numbers to

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Speaking of that.
I bough a few books when the editor a put some larger right margin, in an attempt not to overlap onto page numbers. That's pretty lame. I hate having to edit my book to fix that....

What went into the mind of the people at adobe when they did that ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

What went into the mind of the people at adobe when they did that ?
I don't mind the standard ADE numbers at all, in fact I prefer having them, particularly on readers that do not display the page number continuously.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would be nice to be able to have the option to turn them off, though.

On all my ePub books I set a 13pt right margin. This is sufficient to avoid the page number overlapping the text, but still not large enough (for me, at least) to look overly-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be nice to be able to have the option to turn them off, though.

On all my ePub books I set a 13pt right margin. This is sufficient to avoid the page number overlapping the text, but still not large enough (for me, at least) to look overly-wide.
True, better to have the option.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
In one epub i see different number
using my opus and the bebook of frend of mine.
Hmm, that is not supposed to be the case. Are you sure it exactly the same (byte-to-byte) EPUB?
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Hmm, that is not supposed to be the case. Are you sure it exactly the same (byte-to-byte) EPUB?
Different software definitely puts these in different places for ePubs that don't contain a page map. Actually, the details are given in the thread I linked to above.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Different software definitely puts these in different places for ePubs that don't contain a page map. Actually, the details are given in the thread I linked to above.
True, but the same file on different ereaders will be the same. It is all based on a character count (that apparently includes the markup tags, etc).
Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Is there any renderer, except for Adobe's, that supports those?
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Confusing when on the one hand we discover Adobe's "ePub best practice" that mentions the use of PageMap, and then a couple of posts including Do not use page mapping on epubcheck stating the OPF specs do not allow PageMap to be used.

Implying that only ADE will allow use of the page map....

So much for a 'standard' .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote