Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
More Info on Kindle for your PC

The latest.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...28630_13490320
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So because I have an iPod Touch registered to my Amazon account, if I was to get Kindle for Windows, would I be able to remove the DRM using the iPod's PID?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So because I have an iPod Touch registered to my Amazon account, if I was to get Kindle for Windows, would I be able to remove the DRM using the iPod's PID?
I have absolutely no clue. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could answer.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Assuming it will work the same as all existing "devices", your Windows PC will have its own PID and when you download to your PC from Amazon you will need to choose the target "device" which in this case is your PC. So far, all DRMed Kindle ebooks are targeted to a single device (i.e. they contain only one PID).

If we can discover the Kindle PID for a Windows PC, then for most ebooks the standard 6 device limit allows you to "read" the ebook on both your Touch and on the Windows PC. So just download it to your PC and strip the DRM using the Windows PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ok, I'm confused.

I have a Kindle2 and an iPhone with Kindle app. I have originally purchased books on both, but I can read *any* ebook purchased on either device at the same time. Why would anything be different with Kindle for PC ?

{Ok.. never mind.. Just reread the thread. Talking about DRM}

Last edited by jgaiser; 11-05-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: One should read before posting.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I'm getting second thoughts here.

If I download a book from Amazon, once its on my computer, they have no further knowledge of what I may or may not do with it.

If I download their pc app, on the other hand......could that possibly change?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Well, they can tell what you do with it within the application itself -- that's how it's going to be able to sync pages between the desktop and Kindle versions.

If you're asking if they can figure out if you strip the DRM on a file, assuming we can ever figure out the PID, I would say no, unless you re-import the de-DRM'd version back into the application.

If you're asking if they can track the file if you rename it and copy it to a different directory and never open it in the Kindle app, then I would say no, not absent some kind of included spyware. And if Amazon did that, it would make the Orwell thing look like a cakewalk by comparison when they are caught.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
wow. this is great. how come i missed this.. tsk3. anyway, thanks so much for sharing!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote