Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
My Perfect Reader Would Have:

8.9” screen or slightly larger
Super slim design, approx ¼” thick
Folder support
SDHC card reader
At least 7 day battery life
Matte screen, not glossy
eInk, not LCD
Multiple format support, but needs to handle PDF and PRC for sure
Don’t need any DRM support for any format
USB mini (shows up as drive for copy/paste, no syncing) and for charging
WiFi
Simple Internet browser
Accurate page numbering
MP3 support for audio books
Picture viewer (jpg, bmp, png)
Touch screen
Ability to bookmark
Ability to add notes
Dictionary support
Multiple font sizes
Fast page turns
Ability to delete a book from the device itself
Cost no more than $350

Last edited by CyGuy; 10-30-2009 at 05:52 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I agree with most of your features, but I would take a 5" or 6" screen if it meant bumping the price down. Heck I would bend on some of the more minor features you listed if it meant it would be in the no more than $200-250 range. Readers are just to expensive for a poor university student, such as myself.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
The reason I want a larger screen is because I have mostly PDF's I want to read. Most small screens are just too small to read PDF's, and most don't reflow well. I would really like to have a screen large enough to read PDF's at their native size with no zooming or reflowing needed.
I'm not too concerned about the price as long as I can have the features I need...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Yeah I see your point and while I would want that too, I just can't afford it. I guess it just comes down to personally preference and financial situations.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Your list is pretty good -- but you do include some features that are not important to me:
  • WiFi -- could be nice but isn't essential at all
  • Simple Internet browser -- ho hum. I suppose if you include WiFi it could be useful
  • Accurate page numbering -- I don't even know what you mean by "accurate". Do you mean that the page numbers in the reader match the page numbers in the paper book? If so, which edition of the paper book? (hardback first edition, mass market paperback, trade paper back, large print edition??) What about when the font is increased or decreased, do you want the pages renumbered? If so, then are you going to remember to note your font size when you tell someone that you're looking at "Page 36"? Personally, I like the Kindle's approach with "location" numbers that don't change even if you resize the font.
  • MP3 support for audio books -- ho hum. Not necessary at all, but only valuable if the MP3 support also includes support for play lists. I can't imagine listing to a books chapters in random order.
  • Picture viewer (jpg, bmp, png) -- nope. 16-level grey scale just doesn't cut it.
  • Touch screen -- absolutely NOT. I want to be able to read & turn pages without having to touch the screen. I don't like having to remove fingerprints and greasy streaks from the screen, thank you very much.

Your list is really very close to the Kindle DX. But maybe the folder support or SDHC card are deal-breakers for you.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Mine would have

6" screen (I don't need to read .pdfs)
Ultra-responsive Touchscreen (I hate the clutter of buttons)
Colour display and an Internet browser (for research)
Slide out keyboard
A word processor (I like to write almost as much as I read)
Expandable memory
Have an optional backlight (I read in the dark as I suffer from insomnia and hubby is a light sleeper. Booklight add-ons are clumsy)
Have text to speech which sounds natural and not robotic!
Have an amazing battery life (probably not with all these features)
Have a dictaphone facility

I may be waiting a long time ...
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote