Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Sony pocket edition and Barnes and Noble

When I bought this I was under the understanding that I could download books from B & N because they were in the epub format...now I guess that is not true?

I have seen some threads that talk about stripping drm, but I am not a techie...

Any easy solutions to play B & N ebooks on my Sony?

Laymen's terms please, you are talking to neophyte who just likes to read.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You would need to srtip the DRM from the eReader eBooks and then convert to ePub or LRF. Look for ereader2html.py. It is a Python script and you'll need Pythin 2.5.x or 2.6.x from http://www.python.org.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
When I bought this I was under the understanding that I could download books from B & N because they were in the epub format...now I guess that is not true?
There was talk that they would support ePub but not for sure that it would support the Adobe DRM that the Sony supports in addition to their proprietary eReader DRM.

Are there eBooks at B&N that you are not able to find at BooksOnBoard.com or the Sony store?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N ebooks are in the eReader format which they now own after buying FictionWise. FictionWise has talked about switching eReader to ePub, but this may be a year away and even if they do so the DRM (encryption) will likely still be incompatible with the Sony Readers. B&N has a press conference on the 20th that may clarify their future plans.

It is possible to strip the DRM from eReader ebooks, see eReader Decoder Tool. This requires Python and the command line, but it isn't in the end all that hard to use. Once you have a DRM-free ebook, Calibre can convert it for you to ePub or LRF for the Sony. However, even with the low prices that B&N has for some ebooks, you may be better off buying ePub ebooks from other stores.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
thanks...

I guess I can use books from other stores. plus the library. It just bugs me that I can not get it from the B&N store, because I have shopped there for years and enjoy it very much.

I was just hoping that was still on option for the ereader.

It does seem like proprietary formats shoot themselves in the foot.

I can understand if they want to sell an ereader that connects wirelessly to their store, but it seems as if they would increase sales if they made thier books available in more formats.

Although I am sure this has been discussed endlessly already, LOL.

I am late to the game as I don't own an ipod and am not a music lover...I just bought a walkman mp3 and went with it, but I am a book lover and like to have more control!

I am sure any book I want will be available other places, since I mostly read "trash" anyway, LOL.

I hope I love my ereader as much as I think I will. I am getting the Sony Pocket Edition and I am so excited!
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Although I am sure this has been discussed endlessly already, LOL.
You have no idea.

Quote:
I hope I love my ereader as much as I think I will. I am getting the Sony Pocket Edition and I am so excited!
I am sure you will. Welcome to the club.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You would need to srtip the DRM from the eReader eBooks and then convert to ePub or LRF. Look for ereader2html.py. It is a Python script and you'll need Pythin 2.5.x or 2.6.x from http://www.python.org.
These are not layman's terms!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote