Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
PRS-505 or PRS-600?

So I've finally decided between two. The PRS-700 looks too old, the PRS-300 too small, I'm in Canada so most other aren't options.

Now I am hesitating between PRS-505 and PRS-600 with what some people call the glare. I am moving towards the PRS-600. With taxes and shipping it would be $419 from NCIX. The PRS-505 would be around $350 from Sony. Any word of advice from experts?? Thanks.

I plan on reading on the bus or between classes, mostly pdf with small columns, which is why I preferred sony at first. Thanks.
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
So I've finally decided between two. The PRS-700 looks too old, the PRS-300 too small, I'm in Canada so most other aren't options.

Now I am hesitating between PRS-505 and PRS-600 with what some people call the glare. I am moving towards the PRS-600. With taxes and shipping it would be $419 from NCIX. The PRS-505 would be around $350 from Sony. Any word of advice from experts?? Thanks.

I plan on reading on the bus or between classes, mostly pdf with small columns, which is why I preferred sony at first. Thanks.
My advice is to sign up with Borders and get one of their discount coupons. I paid $ 199 for the 505. Border membership is free and you get the discount coupons the same day... Good luck.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
superfrank
superfrank began at the beginning.

Device: cybook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad View Post
My advice is to sign up with Borders and get one of their discount coupons. I paid $ 199 for the 505. Border membership is free and you get the discount coupons the same day... Good luck.
Canada
superfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I'm not sure either device would be right for you, you said small 2 column pdf's would be primary use.
I wouldn't get the 505 for that. I converted my pdf's to epub's or sony format with good results.
Hopefully other people can offer their 2 cents of info too.
I guess it could work for you but unless you are flexible and willing to convert your pdf's , which is a simple process if it's not a scanned book, it would be hit or miss.
With the 505 on the way out , keep your eyes and ears open, maybe you can get one on clearance at a good price, maybe not?
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I love my 505 and would never own a 600 (glare).

Try Ebay.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
frogger72
frogger72 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
Canada
Staples has the 505 for $299, so do bestbuy and futureshop. Bestbuy has a $10 off $100+ order coupon out there for this week, and $20 off $250+ (if you decide on the PRS-600 should amount to same as the NCIX price since NCIX only charges one tax out of BC).

Not sure how much better the 600 handles PDF's vs the 505.
frogger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I love my 505 and would never own a 600 (glare).

Try Ebay.
How long have you actually used a PRS-600 for, as a matter of interest? I don't find "glare" to be the slightest issue with mine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How long have you actually used a PRS-600 for, as a matter of interest? I don't find "glare" to be the slightest issue with mine.
I didn't sit down and read, if that's what you mean. I examined it and found it unacceptable (as compared to the 505). I have problems with eye strain.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a CyBook Gen3, which uses the same screen as the 505, and a side-by-side comparison of the Gen3 with the PRS-600 shows them to be (to me) identical.

The touch layer makes the screen of the 600 a little more "reflective", but that is, for me, absolutely no problem at all in "real world" use for reading. No offence to anyone, but I think that perhaps this issue of "glare" is being "over-egged" by people who may not have actually sat down and used the device for real.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The touch layer makes the screen of the 600 a little more "reflective", but that is, for me, absolutely no problem at all in "real world" use for reading. No offence to anyone, but I think that perhaps this issue of "glare" is being "over-egged" by people who may not have actually sat down and used the device for real.
Reflection, glare - whatever. I admit that I haven't sat down and read a book on the 600, but with my eye problems even a little additional reflectivity is unacceptable. Maybe a filter like I use on my computer monitor would help.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Chris Quijote
Chris Quijote began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, iPhone 3g
Smile I am going for the 505

Hi folks,

My first post - I registered to join in these debates. Have used my iPhone until recently and just trying out readers to see what suits.

I am lucky we have a prs-600 at work (we publish for devices) and have access to a 505.

in my OPINION the difference over a long period of time reading is quite significant between a 505 and a 600. ( I read a couple of books ). In addition, the speed of the 505 does not cause an issue and also the usefulness of the annotations/handwriting on the 600 is not the asset I had hoped for.

The 505 has a matt, contrasty "smoothness" I enjoy. The 600 has less contrast and is significantly blurry.

So I am buying a 505. It is a lot cheaper now so makes sense to me.

As the previous posts highlight, however, everyone has different opinions. For some the 600 will be preferable, I am sure.

p.s. Buying the 505 is slightly "unusual" for me. I normally only go for the latest and greatest in a gadget. However, for me the 505 really does have a great screen to read over a long time.

Last edited by Chris Quijote; 10-14-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Chris Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My 505 is the best pal I ever had, Chris. Hope you soon feel the same about yours. The only trick comes in choosing what to read. Looking forward to your future posts. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Kind of a generic response, but if you don't want/need dictionary lookup and annotation, I'd go with the 505. Cheaper, sleeker, and a better screen contrast (from my many observations--No, Harry, I don't own a 600 but I spent a lot of time doing side-by-side comparisons, and the 600 screen was noticeably inferior to the 300/505). Plus, the 505 comes with a nice fold-back cover that works great and adds little bulk. The 600 has a foam pouch.

The Sony should reflow pdf's just fine for reading. To check this, dl the Sony Library software, opening up a pdf, and changing font size from S to M or L. (The 505 doesn't display XL or XXL.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote