Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Sony stores stop selling PRS-600

I just got back from the sony store in Dalls,TX. The store manager said he just received an email telling him to pull all 600s off the shelf. He would not sell me one even though he had several black units. I called the Houston store and they confirmed the story. I had just driven two hours to pick one up. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Hmmm, and my order from the online store didn't go out on friday like it was supposed to. It does show that it will go out on Monday. We will see!
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I noticed the 600 still says 'pre order' while the 300 says 'add to cart' on Sony Style
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I just got back from the sony store in Dalls,TX. The store manager said he just received an email telling him to pull all 600s off the shelf. He would not sell me one even though he had several black units. I called the Houston store and they confirmed the story. I had just driven two hours to pick one up. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH.
Did he say why?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sounds like a recall
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Both stores said no details were given.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
According to this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54728

it's a recall due to missing warranty cards.

So it doesn't seem to be any real cause for alarm. Just one of those dumb things that happen sometimes.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Maybe to install the firmware upgrade to correct the memory card glitch?

[Edit: nevermind, if the above is true--I didn't see that when I responded!]
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
it's a recall due to missing warranty cards.
Am I missing something here, surely it would be easier to bulk mail warranty cards to the stores instead of recalling all the readers? Apologies if my puzzlement reflects ignorance of the US market place
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
yessirrom
Connoisseur

I will be highly upset if I invested all that effort to get there after calling twice to confirm availability, only to be turned away for a warranty card issue.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Missing warranty cards? I thought they'd have some way of doing that electronically. Must be some mumbo jumbo legal clause saying that they need a printed warranty card?

Sucks to drive that far and get turned away
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
yessirrom
Connoisseur

I called the 800 # for sony sales and service and they had no idea what was going on. They just kept transferring me around. I called the Dallas store later in the day and asked if they had any 600s in stock. They said they had sold out of them. This was just a sales person who was obviously told to just say they had sold out of these rather than explain any recalls etc.

I will just have to enjoy my 505 for a little while longer.

Last edited by yessirrom; 08-29-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Probably forgot to add the dust between the screens
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Probably forgot to add the dust between the screens
Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
My guess would be that they're recalling them to install the updated firmware but are telling the managers to say that they warranty cards are missing. I suspect that they're worried about admitting a software defect since it could deter someone from buying it after the update. After all, Sony has had some buggy software issues. Heck, I have an mp3 player that I love but replaced because after 2 hours of dealing w/ their buggy software that kept crashing, I was too tired from trying to get songs on the player to go work out.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote