Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #136
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdnostril View Post
"Grow or die. That's a law of nature."

No, no it's not.
OK, I'm not a biologist but I can't think of a single living organism that doesn't die when it stops growing. (Note: 'stop' is permanent. 'pause' is temporary.)

I'll consider the argument that a body of knowledge isn't a living organism, but I doubt if you'll convince me. IMO it's a part of humanity & humanity definitely *is* a living organism. (Or, more accurately, a collection of living organisms.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #137
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
OK, I'm not a biologist but I can't think of a single living organism that doesn't die when it stops growing. (Note: 'stop' is permanent. 'pause' is temporary.)
In which case, if I get fatter then I should live longer.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #138
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
[QUOTE=bill the smith;554168]Declaration of Independence

Quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that books are knowledge and that knowledge is forever free".
Well, no, books are not knowledge. Sometimes they contain knowledge. But books are a technology.

Quote:
I am totally opposed to:
1. DMR on books.
As currently implemented, I'd agree.

Quote:
2. Geographic limits on sales of ereaders.
3. Geographic limits on purchase of ebooks.
Can't say that I disagree with this.

Quote:
4. Americo-centrism as the defining basis of the availability of literature.
I'm not sure what this means. It strikes me that "Americo-centrism" might be in the mind of the beholder.

Quote:
5. Making criminals of those who download/possess/read ebooks which are not in the Public Domain.
Depends on whether they paid for the books.

Quote:
6. Unreal copyright laws.
Probably better to say "out of date copyright laws."

Quote:
This means that I support:
7. Software that cracks/strips DRM.
See 1. above.

Quote:
8. Free distribution of any book which is electronic format.
Hmmm. Not much of a business plan there.

Quote:
9. Access for all ereaders and ebooks without geographical limitation.
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
10. "Warez" or "pirate sites” that make ebooks available to all – books for every person in every country for free.
See 8 above.
Quote:
Is anyone else on board?
Nah. If I'm going to ignore reality, I prefer to use a martini.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #139
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you like martinis for reality blurring, you'd really like Zany Carters...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #140
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
In which case, if I get fatter then I should live longer.
Don't see how that follows. Many people grow without getting fatter. Some grow taller, some simply grow replacements for cells that die. But all people, while alive, continue to grow.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #141
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Don't see how that follows.
That is because your parents did not pass on the humor gene to you.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote