Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
B&N finally jumping back in?

I was on the B&N website and came across a page indicating they are about to get back in the ebook business (which we knew because they bought Fictionwise):

eBooks for Everyone
Unlock a universe of books to discover and explore
on the eReader you already own.
Hint: It's right in your pocket.
Summer 2009
Follow us on Twitter
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Does this mean DRM-free books? Ebooks for everyone? Or just for the readers they sell?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Does this mean DRM-free books? Ebooks for everyone? Or just for the readers they sell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Based on this, I'd bet that they are focusing on smart phones & PDAs.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My guess would be the eReader software interface they provide for phones and selling Fictionwise books on the B&N website. Yet another standard from a major player in the book market.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I was on the B&N website and came across a page indicating they are about to get back in the ebook business (which we knew because they bought Fictionwise):

eBooks for Everyone
Unlock a universe of books to discover and explore
Summer 2009
Follow us on Twitter
Yes. That page was noticed here on MR a couple months back.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
This plain gold ring is an ebook reader?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. That page was noticed here on MR a couple months back.
Sorry I didn't notice that. And my guess appears to be wrong anyway. Teleread reports (29 June) the B&N effort is an iPhone App:

B&N president William Lynch said the company launched the app based on the growth it has seen over the past year in its mobile traffic. With the app, he said, users can access “exclusive content and customer reviews, as well as information about the more than 50,000 events in our stores.” They can also purchase items, view B&N Recommends lists, watch video interviews with authors and access other features of BN.com. Thanks to a partnership with LinkMe Mobile from Evryx Technologies, Inc. and Spotlight Mobile, Inc., customers can use their iPhone or iPod touch cameras to snap a photo of a book’s front cover and get product details, editorial reviews and customer ratings
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
KoKoPuff
KoKoPuff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, if you throw it into the fire, you'll see cursive writing begin to appear...
KoKoPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKoPuff View Post
Yes, if you throw it into the fire, you'll see cursive writing begin to appear...
But will it make you invisible when you use it to read?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKoPuff View Post
+1 funny
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm kinda wondering how I'm going to read ebooks on my Jamba Juice card. Very much looking forward to the new $5 gift card/ereader combo technology!
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'm kinda wondering how I'm going to read ebooks on my Jamba Juice card. Very much looking forward to the new $5 gift card/ereader combo technology!
From you pic I think that e-Ink contact lenses would be your best bet.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
They invite you to follow them on Twitter -- so I went to see what they've posted. Nada. All they have done is sign up with Twitter.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My Swiss Army Knife? I does a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure where or how they're gonna fit an e-book reader in it.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
From you pic I think that e-Ink contact lenses would be your best bet.
As soon as I can upload books to a chip in my brain and have them scroll along the insides of my eyelids, I'm set for life.

However, they did indicate their e-reader was in my pocket. (Hmm, maybe it's my comb?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote