Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
bobotter
bobotter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sleep mode vs. power off

I understand that in sleep mode the Kindle2 uses less battery power but will still receive whispernet content as it is ready. Does the Kindle 2 use the same amount of power in sleep and power-off mode when the wireless is turned off? I like the e-ink "screensaver" pictures (yes, I know it's not actually a screensaver.
bobotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
When the power is off it doesn't make any difference if the whispernet is on. Leaving the whispernet on will really drain your battery when the unit is on. I only turn mine on every few days for about 10 minutes.

Usually I leave my Kindle in sleep mode with me reading anywhere from 1 to 6 hours a day and the battery lasts about 5 days. I've been down with strep and done a great deal more reading and my battery lasted a little less. This makes sense as it is the actual page turns which drain the battery.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is there even a third mode on the K2? I thought it was in sleep mode or in use mode?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
You mean K2 can't be turned completely off? I would think that might be an airline issue!?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
You mean K2 can't be turned completely off? I would think that might be an airline issue!?
Opps.. I guess I am wrong. From the User Guide:

Quote:
If you are done reading, you can put your Kindle to sleep by sliding and
releasing the power button located at the top of your Kindle (you wake up Kindle the same way).
Sleeping your Kindle will extend battery life and also lock all of the keys and buttons so you
don't inadvertently press one while not using your Kindle. When your Kindle is asleep, you will
see an image on the screen. To turn off your Kindle completely, slide and hold the power switch
for four seconds, then release.

So, I am going to extrapolate from this info, if you turn the kindle "off" it will not use any power nor will it download via whispernet while it is off. That is assuming "off" means off.

BOb
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
susanmarie8
susanmarie8 began at the beginning.

Device: none/kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is there even a third mode on the K2? I thought it was in sleep mode or in use mode?

BOb

It took me a while to succesfully turn off the power. I held the switch for a count of four and thought it was off, but it wasn't. If you can see the "screensaver, it is still in sleep mode. Try holding the switch to the right for LONGER than the count of four - perhaps more like 6-8. It should turn off and the screen will go blank.
susanmarie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarie8 View Post
Try holding the switch to the right for LONGER than the count of four - perhaps more like 6-8. It should turn off and the screen will go blank.
Of course, if you hold it to the right too long (14 seconds?) it will do a reset. I don't know what all that implies, but I assume you will lose at least some information with a rest.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
A reset doesn't cause you to lose information. It's really more of a reboot. There is an option via the menus for a factory reset which does cause you to lose information.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
pookielocks
pookielocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
can you read your kindle while it is charging?
pookielocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielocks View Post
can you read your kindle while it is charging?
Yes you can.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't read your Kindle while it's in "USB drive" mode with your PC, but after you're done copying files you can umount the drive and read your Kindle while it's still attached (and charging) from the PC's USB port.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You can't read your Kindle while it's in "USB drive" mode with your PC, but after you're done copying files you can umount the drive and read your Kindle while it's still attached (and charging) from the PC's USB port.
Or you can use the A/C mains charger connect to the USB cable. Then it doesn't got into USB drive mode.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Right, just trying to be thorough.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Right, just trying to be thorough.
Me too.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
sweet noom
sweet noom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
so does it lose battery power when its on the sleep mode ?
sweet noom is offline   Reply With Quote