Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
dawogboro
The Audacity Of Dreams
dawogboro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Transfering Metadata help

Newbie here.

I have many pdfs (mainly technical whitepapers), the names of the titles of which are sometimes far from meaningful. As I cannot edit the PDF to make the titles mean something to me, I though I could get a similar effect using Calibre.

1: I add all of the pdf files to the Cailbre Library on my PC (WinXP SP3)
2: I then deleted removed via Calibre all my pdf books (mistake I know)
3: Using Caliber, I painstakingly edit each book, making the title more meaingfull and adding tags allowing for automatic creation of collection.s on the sony
4: I then send using the books to device to my prs-505
5: After books are transferred I unplug reader from computer

The Problem:
The changes I made do not appear to be transferred along with the pdf books. So the titles revert back to the original meaningless titles. Tags seems to be transferred which so I get collecyions created.

Anyone know if I am doing something wrong or how to achieve meaningful titles without having to edit on the reader directly via Calibre.

Thanks
dawogboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a known problem with transferring pdf,txt files, where the reader insists on regenerating the metadata from the original file, overwriting any changes in calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
dawogboro
The Audacity Of Dreams

Thank You. Are you saying this is not a problem with other formats, epub, rtf or lrf?

If this is the case I could convert the pdf's to another format the Sony supports.

Thanks for your hekp
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is a known problem with transferring pdf,txt files, where the reader insists on regenerating the metadata from the original file, overwriting any changes in calibre.
I use a workaround for it because I also lost previously some meta-data for PDF(coming back to the "old" name that I had changed).

Now before sending a pdf file with calibre, I first edit the meta-data with a freeware called A-PDF INFO Changer using Wine on my Ubuntu. After that, I remarked that my changes are taken into account in a stable way.

Hope this could help.

Last edited by roger64; 01-28-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: typo
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Now before sending a pdf file with calibre, I first edit the meta-data with a freeware called A-PDF INFO Changer using Wine on my Ubuntu. After that, I remarked that my changes are taken into account in a stable way.
Try the 'update_info' option of pdftk. There should be a package in your distro ('pdftk' in Debian, so hopefully Ubuntu too?).
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Try the 'update_info' option of pdftk. There should be a package in your distro ('pdftk' in Debian, so hopefully Ubuntu too?).
Indeed it does the trick too. Same package. Thanks to a Debian cousin.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
dawogboro
The Audacity Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I use a workaround for it because I also lost previously some meta-data for PDF(coming back to the "old" name that I had changed).

Hope this could help.
Bingo!! Worked a treat, thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
FYI, this happens with PRC files as well. I can convert them to MOBI and then upload to get correct metadata, but that's annoying. Any idea when this will be fixed?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is a problem in the Reader software - not in Calibre.

The solution is to edit the original file using some appropriate tool (not caliber).

Last edited by itimpi; 03-06-2009 at 01:12 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
FYI, this happens with PRC files as well. I can convert them to MOBI and then upload to get correct metadata, but that's annoying. Any idea when this will be fixed?
The PRC files you're having trouble with are obsolete and have no support for setting metadata which is why this happens. The only solution is to convert them
Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I was under the impression that Calibre would modify the metadata on export. Makes sense that it can't if it's confined to the file itself.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it does but not all files support setting metadata
Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Rodger dodger. Ugh, I hate format wars...