Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
orien
orien began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 1945, 02 XDA Mini, Sony PRS505
Is the PRS Auto-voltage?

Hi everyone! I just got the news that my mother has bought me my 505 and I'm so excited! Too bad that I have to wait until the end of June until it gets to me...

I was planning on buying a PSP charger and using that on the 505, but since I'm located in Australia, would it blow up on me when I plug it in? I've had that happen to me before with other electronic appliances, as I relocated to Australia from the US and have mistakenly plugged US appliances in once or twice without a voltage regulator.

I'm thinking that I shouldn't have any problem with charging it from the USB port of my computer, since my iPod does fine charging that way, but I'd really prefer using a charger.

Thanks!
orien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
keith
Enthusiast
keith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you buy a PSP charger in Australia it will work with the Australian mains voltage of 240 volts, it may well work with 110 volts too (most are autoswitching). They seem to be quite hard to find here for some reason - I got one from Big W for $20. The output is 5.3 volts which matches the required input for the PRS-505. So to answer you question, nothing will blow up provided the PSP charger is compatible with Australian mains voltage.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Check the "small print" on the charger. As long as it says something like "input voltage: 100-250v" (which I'm sure it will) you'll be fine. Just make sure that the specified voltage range includes the Australian 240v.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote