Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Free and bargain romance ebooks + Discussion January 2014

As requested, here is an outline of the purpose of this thread:

We point out free and bargain romances to each other, and recommend certain books that are/were free (or the opposite!).

Because Kindle freebies are easiest to find, the majority of the books listed are from Amazon, but freebies and bargains from other retailers and in other formats are more than welcome!

In case no retailer is specifically mentioned in a post, it is safe to assume it's for Amazon US.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast!

In addition to the freebies, sales, and coupons we do a weekly purchased/read roundup (voluntary only, but it’s fun to use Calibre’s virtual library feature to take a screengrab in cover view ) We also discuss reading apps and devices, books, and life in general a bit in this thread. Sometimes we go off on seemingly unrelated tangents, but we always find our way back…

Check out the last page in December's thread in case you missed any deals...
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Happy 2014 Everyone!

I ask if there is one romance book you want others to read in 2014 and many of you gave your special recommendation.

2014 One Romance Recommendation List:
  • Addicted to You by Krista & Becca Ritchie (Blue2u)
  • Her Wicked Ways by Darcy Burke (KyBunnies)
  • A Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian (Blossom)
  • Knowing the Score by Kat Latham (library addict)
  • Silken Threads by Patricia Ryan (ScalyFreak)
  • The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson (Joykins)
  • The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne (Jane A)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me by Judith McNaught (Terisa de morgan)
  • Warrior's Woman by Johanna Lindsey (mrscoach)
  • The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (booklover6)
  • The Devil and the Deep by Amy Andrews (hannahi)
  • To Rescue a Rogue by Jo Beverley (FizzyWater)
  • Venetia by Georgette Heyer (Carmelreader)
  • Highland Rebel by Judith James (Atunah)
  • Honor's Splendour by Julie Garwood (auntykatkat)
  • Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight (NixLapi)
  • Not Quite A Husband by Sherry Thomas (Venus)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley (Loosheesh)
  • Embattled Hearts by J.M. Madden (laurla)
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Christi C)
  • The Fire and the Fury by Anita Mills (TC-ME)
  • Love, Cherish Me by Rebecca Brandewyne (Christyv)
  • To Die For by Linda Howard (Ararose)
  • The Last Hour of Gann by R Lee Smith (TallMomof2)
  • Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks (tempest@de)
  • The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook (bluesapphires2k)

Note: If I miss you let me know and those who haven't yet there is still time. I decided to keep the list open till 12AM EST Jan 6th.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-02-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

January's Discover a New Love selections.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Celtic Fire by Joy Nash

99 cents at Amazon

Originally published by Love Spell 2005

Quote:
When a Roman commander travels through Britannia to investigate a haunting vision, an ambush by hostile Celts leaves him with an unexpected prize--a beautifully enchanting witch.
Grace by Deneane Clark

99 cents at Amazon

Originally published by Leisure 2007

Quote:
SHE WOULDN’T: The institution of marriage held no attraction for Grace Ackerly. The world, she had noticed, expected nothing more from women than that they be submissive, demure brood mares, allowed absolutely no rights or even opinions of their own. And yet, at twenty, an age at which most of Society considered her well past her prime, she need only wait a little longer to be safe. No—she was fairly comfortable declaring—she would never marry, no matter the temptation set before her.HE WOULD: With a flashing green gaze potently combining warmth, humor and seductive promise, Trevor Christian Caldwell was resisted by few women. When one factored in the earldom of Huntwick and his legendary charm, his conquests became all the more indubitable. But never had there been a woman he truly respected. Not until now. Here, in Pelthamshire, a spirited redhead forced a decision he had never before considered: He would marry Grace Ackerly, no matter what protestations, no matter what travails.It was yet to be seen who would prevail. And how.
Enchantress by Constance O'Banyon

99 cents at Amazon

Originally published by Leisure 2010

Quote:

She had the beauty and grace of her mother, the legendary English Rose. In her stepfather's Thrkish court, Brittany Sinclair had grown to womanhood, torn between the forbidden sensuality of the harem and her mother's traditional English propriety. But when the sultan himself heard the tales of her extraordinary beauty, neither her mother's fame nor her stepfather's power could save her. Only one man had the courage and skill to keep her from harm.

The veiled temptress may have boarded his ship without permission, but she was still Thorn Stoddard's responsibility. And the dashing captain would never surrender her to the sultan's men without a fight. He would protect her with his very life, but how could he guard his heart against a woman with the sensual knowledge of a concubine and the wide-eyed curiosity of an innocent, a woman who was every inch an...ENCHANTRESS.
Daughter of Egypt by Constance O'Banyon

99 cents at Amazon

Originally published by Leisure 2008

Quote:
In the third of an epic new series set in Egypt, an orphan girl who grew up on the streets of Rome discovers that she is the lost princess of a tiny island kingdom, sought by two men, each of whom hopes to wed her, but only one of whom CA win her heart.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Deep Kiss of Winter, the anthology by Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter, is Amazon's Romance Daily Deal for $1.99. Kresley Cole's story is part of her IAD series.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Happy 2014 Everyone!

I ask if there is one romance book you want others to read in 2014 and many of you gave your special recommendation.

2014 One Romance Recommendation List:

Blossom, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about my suggestion, partly because it's part of a series that must be read in order and also because some people feel it's not really a romance. It was one of my top reads of 2013, but I had others, too. One book I read a while ago that I thought was fantastic was Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady. Do you want to switch my selection out?

On another note, I must read The Last Hour of Gann!! I think that will be my first purchase of 2014.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Couple of good freebies today, both rated over 4 at GR.

When the Heart Falls by Karpov Kinrade
blurb:Winter Deveaux knows pain. She knows fear. She knows heartache. What she doesn't know is love. Which is a real problem for someone trying to write a romance novel. When a chance to spend a summer in Paris promises her a cure to her writer's block, she packs her bags, never suspecting that the source of her darkest secret will follow her across the world.

Cade Savage is a man torn between two worlds. As son to the wealthiest ranching family in Texas, being a cowboy is in his blood, but his heart is set on architecture. He has one shot to decide his fate: a summer course in Paris.

Winter and Cade leave everything they know behind to follow their dreams to the city of lights, but they soon learn you can't run from the demons that haunt you.

In a story of heartbreak, humor, forgiveness and finding love, these two lost souls must face their darkest fears before they can claim their heart's desires.

But summer love can't last forever, and soon they must choose between their future and their past. Between their dreams and their love. Between their secrets, and forgiveness.
Can they forgive the unforgivable in order to find happiness? Or are some people beyond forgiveness?

Literary Fiction/Contemporary Romance/Women's Fiction - 87, 000 words - Standalone in the Deveaux series

Lennon's Jinx by Chris Myers
blurb: Sometimes, you don't get to choose who you fall for...

Lennon spends most of his time raising his little
sister Currie while trying to skate through his senior year of high school. He
prefers groupies with no-strings attached but finds himself strangely attracted
to Jinx, the straight-A student in his choir.

Jinx conceals the black truth about herself from her
friends. She won't admit to them that she screwed up big time, losing her first
love and what she once held most precious. When Jinx joins Lennon's band to
nurture her love of music and ease the guilt gnawing away at her, she witnesses
Lennon battling his infamous father. While confronting his pent-up anger at his
dad, Lennon exposes vulnerabilities he had no intention of letting Jinx ever
see. Their reckless pasts may bring them together or further complicate their
messy lives.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
[LIST][*]His Wicked Ways by Darcy Burke (KyBunnies)
I was looking for the books on this list, to wish list them, find them in Overdrive, etc, and this one doesn't exist.

The author's website lists Her Wicked Ways, and His Wicked Heart, but not the title His Wicked Ways. So I'm curious which of the two existing ones that is being recommended. I've read Her Wicked Ways.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The Rosie Project is $1.99!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Rosie-Proj.../dp/B00BSBR9N6

I bought this @ full price after SBTB talked to the author in a podcast, and reviewed the book in another post.

Great quirky romance. Seems you either love it or hate it.

Happy New Year, Everybody!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I was looking for the books on this list, to wish list them, find them in Overdrive, etc, and this one doesn't exist.

The author's website lists Her Wicked Ways, and His Wicked Heart, but not the title His Wicked Ways. So I'm curious which of the two existing ones that is being recommended. I've read Her Wicked Ways.

Sorry His Wicked Heart - http://www.amazon.com/His-Wicked-Hea...dp/B0088TEM72/
Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Sweet, the one I haven't read yet!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

LAVENDER BLUE by Parris Afton Bonds

Free at Amazon

Originally published by Fawcett 1995

Quote:
The Frenchman was everything Jeanette St. John detested. A mercenary, a man with no morals, a renegade. But Kitt was reckless and daring, cautious and calculating – and he was captain of one of the fastest ships on the ocean. And so she bargained with the devil – on his terms. In exchange for transporting her cotton and turning it into medical supplies and ammunition for her beloved Confederacy, she was to let him ravish her for every shipment he delivered.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Happy new Year!

Although I don’t write much I always read this thread, I discovered a lot off good books from your recommendations and got some good deals, and I enjoy reading the discussions.

I’ve just looked to my list off books from the last year, it’s something I do every year and was astounded with the amount off books I have read this year, it was my record to this date, this was because I now carry my glo everywere, and I buy more books than ever before, I found some good deals and the kobo coupons allowed me to spend less for each book so I bought more books.

Looking to my list to see which book I would recommend was hard, I read so many good books this year, looking back there are some that I enjoyed but I think that if I reared them now I wouldn’t love them so much, I think they were memorable in that moment. The one book that I would like to reared is in my list from 2012, Maya Banks Whispers in the dark, the 3rd book from the KGI series, It’s actually kind of strange that I loved it so much because the heroin is psychic and I usually don’t like paranormal / psychic histories but I loved this one. I’m anxiously waiting for the next one in this series.

This year I read a lot off m/m romance, sometimes I get bored off all the emotional drama from the f/m romances, so when I still want a romance I read an m/m romance. Don’t get me wrong the heroes also have their issues but usually the author doesn’t describe them several times, or goes on describing the feelings for several pages in a row, there is less drama.

In the December thread ScalyFreak mentioned several authors, (I love kaje harper’s books) some off them I didn’t know but just added them to my list off books to look, thank’s. I just wanted to point some author’s that I enjoyed, maybe you would like some off them.

- Con Riley (Seattle stories)
- KC Burn (mainly the Toronto Tales series)
- K.A. Mitchell
- Mary Calmes has two series that focus on a couple I enjoyed seeing what happens after they get together, after all that is not the end but the beginning off a love story.
A Matter of Time is my favorite, mainly because it’s more fun, Jory is a bit of a klutz and ends in some troubles. The book is in first person, maybe some people don’t like it.
Timing also is about another couple.
she as several stand alones and some paranormal series.

Last edited by tempest@de; 01-01-2014 at 02:13 PM.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Nora Roberts' The Next Always is on sale at Amazon for $3.99
Quote:
Meet the Montgomery brothers - Beckett, Ryder, and Owen - as they bring an intimate Bed-and-Breakfast to life, in their hometown.

The historic hotel in Boonsboro, Maryland, has endured war and peace, the changing of hands, and even rumored hauntings. Now it’s getting a major face lift from the Montgomery brothers and their eccentric mother.

As the architect of the family, Beckett's social life consists mostly of talking shop over pizza and beer. But there's another project he's got his eye on: the girl he's been waiting to kiss since he was sixteen...

After losing her husband and returning to her hometown, Clare Brewster soon settles into her life as the mother of three young sons while running the town's bookstore. Though busy and with little time for romance, Clare is drawn across the street by Beckett's transformation of the old inn, wanting to take a closer look ... at both the building and the man behind it.

With the grand opening inching closer, Beckett is happy to give Clare a private tour -- one room at a time, in between blueprint meetings and kindergarten pickups. It's no first date, but these stolen moments are the beginning of something that could arouse the secret yearning that resides in Clare's independent heart -- and open the door to the extraordinary adventure of what comes next ...
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love the discussions. I saw Shannon on here last night. I remember reading this author while I was in college (I found college easier than high school, so I had a lot of time for reading, and I finally had money!). But $3.47 is beyond my price range unless it is something I am going to read. So, I downloaded a sample, and really enjoyed it, and bought the book. Last time I bought a book after reading a sample the book came but started at the beginning. But last night, it started right where I left off. Good thing, because it was 3 am.

This morning, I used an Amazon Local coupon to get a bunch of books that are $2.99 to $4.99 and are in the Kindle Lending Library for 99 cents. I used the "send to another device" feature to send them to my pw. I usually just send freebies to K4PC and add them to Calibre once and awhile (fixing covers and titles and tags when you are adding 45 new books is a pain!) So I having these on my pw they can go to the top of my TBR.

Happy 2014 Everyone!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote